Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your garden view

nightfisher

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like Jules we have just moved house and have some new garden views to figure out. It has some good and some bad aspects, I haven't checked the overall sky quality yet. It should be better except there is a but, you will see. :D

Firstly a couple of pics from what is likely to be my main observing spot in the back yard.

post-8383-0-57247200-1439110243_thumb.jp

In the above pic South is to the right of the image probably in between the big palm far right and the tall pine. In an ideal world I'd get rid of all those trees but I'm not sure if I can or not and to be fair they are not that intrusive, still I don't like them nor the little munchkin bird bath thing.

post-8383-0-28788900-1439110766.jpg

Second is the view East, there is a small hill and some houses but it's pretty good for early morning solar.

Now we move to the side of the house looking west/south westish, This is a pretty good view and on a clear day I can see right down the mountain all past Alicante by a long way. Should be good when storms come too but it is not the most practical of viewing areas.

post-8383-0-18399900-1439114409_thumb.jp

post-8383-0-00005300-1439114987_thumb.jp

This side is where the but comes in, and it's pretty big and offensive.

The view from my kids room.....

post-8383-0-24568900-1439115046_thumb.jp

There are actually two of these at window height and they are sooooo bright. The boys rooms by night you can read by the light and the whole side of the house and back and front yard are illuminated.

Still moving to the front yard I get views like this....

19661498624_f66f56a082_c.jpg

Beggars can't be choosers. :)

Here we go. Appologies for the burned out clouds, using my smartphone to do a sweep panorama.

post-3064-0-75853400-1439116428_thumb.jp

The view is from roughly North East through to South West. The pale lump is the cover of my mount pointing South

Done for you, nightfisher

Like Jules we have just moved house and have some new garden views to figure out. It has some good and some bad aspects, I haven't checked the overall sky quality yet. It should be better except there is a but, you will see. :D

Firstly a couple of pics from what is likely to be my main observing spot in the back yard.

attachicon.gifDSC_0357g.jpg

In the above pic South is to the right of the image probably in between the big palm far right and the tall pine. In an ideal world I'd get rid of all those trees but I'm not sure if I can or not and to be fair they are not that intrusive, still I don't like them nor the little munchkin bird bath thing.

attachicon.gifDSC_0359l.jpg

Second is the view East, there is a small hill and some houses but it's pretty good for early morning solar.

Now we move to the side of the house looking west/south westish, This is a pretty good view and on a clear day I can see right down the mountain all past Alicante by a long way. Should be good when storms come too but it is not the most practical of viewing areas.

attachicon.gifcv.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_0366s.jpg

This side is where the but comes in, and it's pretty big and offensive.

The view from my kids room.....

attachicon.gifDSC_0364z.jpg

There are actually two of these at window height and they are sooooo bright. The boys rooms by night you can read by the light and the whole side of the house and back and front yard are illuminated.

Still moving to the front yard I get views like this....

19661498624_f66f56a082_c.jpg

Beggars can't be choosers. :)

sounds like your not far from Qualia, i think he is Alicante way

Thanks Jules.

This is the reverse direction, from South West through to East. Sorry for the bigger file, I had to hold the camera vertically to get enough of the sky. Hope this posts properly.

f3071a40d71f0b61327f6263539f795d.jpg

post-3064-0-03587300-1439118550_thumb.jp

Thanks for that, I couldn't rotate it in the computer, saved me having to do yet another sweep panorama.

Dur...the reason I couldn't rotate it was because I was trying to rotate the original file in camera. Importing it did the trick. Note to self: Engage brain before editing photos  :embarrassed: .

Although my aspects might look a bit closed in compared to some, they're actually not too bad as the high-ish hedges serve to block the light from local houses and the LP low down means the far south isn't much cop. Looking north I don't have to worry too much about anything south of the pole. Compared to where I used to live it's like living on a prairy (I know that's wrong, I just can't get close).

We sure will, Stu.

I snapped these with the 650D at 18x with no tracking earlier tonight...

post-33858-0-29560900-1439771488.png

post-33858-0-00407300-1439771563.png

post-33858-0-31323800-1439771693.png

The second picture has a nice satellite trail and just above the right hand end is what looks like a fuzzy - perhaps a galaxy?

Another clear night forecast for tomorrow so will get the 6" f8 refractor set-up ready for the show :smile:

This is my attached deck overlooking green plants and trees. A few houses about, but they're trained to turn off unnecessary outdoor lighting when my red-lights are going. I guess they figure I'd scare away any would-be burglar that might take a look. I did catch one guy, trying to break into my neighbor's house, at gunpoint - but that's another story.....

post-38438-0-44655200-1440042504.jpg

post-38438-0-27670300-1440042524.jpg

And into the red.....

post-38438-0-63343600-1440042559.jpg

So that's just out the door. But there's a huge, unlit, field within a 5 minute stroll. If I want the western sky, I need to find a good spot early in the day and haul gear to the coast of the lake - Lake Champlain. It has it's own sea-monster. It's name is Champ. Champ is a protected species in Vermont. If you meet up with him, you can give him a sandwich. But if you hurt him - you'll go to jail. We love our Sea-Monster.

Back to the spectroscopy.....

Dave

Here's my backyard, a 180 degree sweep from ENE to WSW:

post-5356-0-13075800-1440271106_thumb.jp

South is about where the farther electricity pole is, right of centre. The tall tree on the mid-left reaches through the square of Pegasus, and I cannot see M8 as it doesn't clear the fence or hedge at the bottom when I use the Dob on the eq platform.

On the plus side, the light domes from the city to the W/NW and the local town to the ENE mean I have a fairly dark area from overhead to south. I've got green fields to the rear of that fence so no houses or lights to the south. No public lighting encroaches on this space thankfully, though an idiot neighbour has just installed a PIR searchlight this evening and it's likely it'll pick up my movements.. At least my lasers will prevent it from going off..

If I need a bit more space, I can cart the scope and bits up to the hill at the top of the estate where there's a footpath with decent southern horizon possibilities

Archived