SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Bury!

spaceman_spiff

After using SGL numerous times setting up my kit I thought I should finally get involved...so here it goes!

My name is Dan and I come from Bury (Lancashire). I have been slowly (on and off) developing astronomy as my hobby for the past 4 years (about 2 years spent doing visual and 2 years imaging). For me, astronomy really took off when I moved into a house with a garden. Since then I have added a guidescope (ST80 + synguider) to my modest SW evostar 120 and have achieved very pleasing results.

I know I am pushing my luck with all this weight on a poor EQ5 pro but it just about handles it! I am constantly checking my bank account...waiting for the day when I can upgrade to the NEQ6 + ED refractor/astrograph newt. Until then I am very happy with my set up - it has developed in line with my understanding of astronomy/astrophotography. 

So that is basically where I am at (minus many tedious details), I feel honoured to be part of the SGL, I am sure this is the place to learn all I need to know and hopefully help others if I can.

I have attached a recent pic of M51, It is a single sub at 11 mins exposure. There is some star trailing (possibly high aggressiveness in RA/DEC).

post-45364-0-21068700-1434986114_thumb.j

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dan,

Welcome to SGL from just up the road, in Chorley.

Have you checked out Bolton AS?

http://www.boltonastro.org.uk

Sent from my Fone

Hi there!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have seen Bolton AS online but never visited in person (no excuse really). Will try to go next meeting (finding Venus) especially since Venus is obscured from my house. 

Thanks

Hi Dan ,great galaxy pic. I too really started to get more interested in astronomy since getting married and moving into a house with a garden. I am a visual observer , having a skytee alt az mount , but have managed to take a great pic of the moon through my phone cam at the eyepiece, through my 12 inch Dob. Here's a pic of my 127 refrac , with home made Baader solar filter. Cheers and welcome from just down the road in Liverpool.

post-44413-0-23674700-1434996611_thumb.j

Hi Dan ,great galaxy pic. I too really started to get more interested in astronomy since getting married and moving into a house with a garden. I am a visual observer , having a skytee alt az mount , but have managed to take a great pic of the moon through my phone cam at the eyepiece, through my 12 inch Dob. Here's a pic of my 127 refrac , with home made Baader solar filter. Cheers and welcome from just down the road in Liverpool.

Great kit Starcluster, I am a big fan of refractors...unfortunately my wallet isn't! I put some Baader solar paper on the inside of my lens cap and then open the central 50mm aperture to do solar observations. 

Hi Dan & Welcome to SGL.  Good luck with the AP. Nice picture, if you post on the imaging section, someone there would give you advice on processing your image.

Hi Dan & Welcome to SGL.  Good luck with the AP. Nice picture, if you post on the imaging section, someone there would give you advice on processing your image.

Hi Mary, I'm still getting to grips with image processing, i'm sure SGL can help me out!

Thanks,

Dan.

Archived