Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starting out

JEF

Hi, I am hoping to get into astronomy as my latest hobby. I like the combination of the latest, newest gadgets and gizmos being used to look at things that have been around much longer. I like the idea of learning about what to look at and how to use the kit.

I am more of an evening person anyway and standing outside learning about what surrounds me seems like a great use of time, not sure that my partner will agree though.

I've been looking through this forum gathering info and thought it about time I signed up and began to get more involved.

Thanks for all the insights so far!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think here is a club in Ely if interested. There is one in Cambridge, and not sure of whereelse that may be reachable.

One person did (does) travel to Nprwich from Ely for the Norwich club. They moved and not sure if they still go, suspect they do.

Think here is a club in Ely if interested. There is one in Cambridge, and not sure of whereelse that may be reachable.

One person did (does) travel to Nprwich from Ely for the Norwich club. They moved and not sure if they still go, suspect they do.

Thanks ronin, I will look up the Ely club. I always intend to go to the Institute of Astronomy talks run each Winter by the University of Cambridge, http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/public. Are you involved in that at all? The one meet I did go to was really interesting, though the conditions did not allow for any observing. It would be great to have a look at/through the historic scopes, otherwise I think it may be quite a few years before I have the to opportunity to build a 12" refractor in my garden

Hello Jeff and welcome to SGL Do you have a preference for this hobby ie Observing of astro photography ?

I would like to learn about the sky above me, so I am thinking observing is my main starting point. maybe start with planets, I guess they are easier to find. Back in the day of film I enjoyed some SLR photography and I imagine the more I look the more astro photography will appeal and keep me looking at things. So I will be looking for something that lets me play and find my particular interests as I learn.

Any recommendation, or maybe I should start posting more specific questions elsewhere

Hi Jef,

Download a planetarium program, lots out there but try stellarium its great and free, to be found here :-- http://www.stellarium.org/

A couple of books to help 'turn left at orion' and 'sky&telescope pocket star atlas', these will help you lean the sky. Try a pair of 10*50 binos to start off with as you can see plenty to get you going. Find your nearest astro club and go along and see what others have and may suit you best.

Archived