Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello

Farid

Hello stargazers!

My name is Farid, I live in Antofagasta (north of Chile), very close to the big observatories! I'm an amateur astronomer with many years observing, now working as a Research Assistant at the Unit of Astronomy of the University of Antofagasta, and as visitor guide of ESO's Paranal Observatory.

My current equipment is a Celestron NexStar 8 SE over a Celestron Advanced GT mount, an Atik 314L+ CCD and many other accesories for now exploring more serious stuff (photometry/exoplanet transits/asteroids/etc.) and astrophotography as well!

I also like astrophotography (I use a Canon 6D and 650D), so if you are interested, you can see my online album at www.austrinus.com/astrofoto. If you also like, www.austrinus.com is my personal astronomy page (but is only in Spanish, if you want to learn :)). Finally, just by curiosity/fun, I created a personal catalog of 300 nice objects (mostly visible at 23ºS) for ≥8'' telescopes: www.caelum.austrinus.com.

Hope I can share and learn some observing experience with you, from the southern hemisphere!

Best regards,

Farid.

Greetings & welcome to SGL, Farid. It's great you have joined us. You arrive with a lot of experience behind you! And you are very welcome! We are all very nice people who love helping others with the many questions in the myriad worlds that astronomy embraces. So please make yourself at home. I'm sure you'll find many people from the Southern Hemisphere who would appreciate your 300-objects list.

Clear & Dark Skies,

Dave

Hi Farid,

Welcome to SGL, it sounds like you have an excelent location for some very good observing. Living here in Birmingham, UK, I don't get to many clear nights, and when we do its a battle with the light pollution. So I am full of envy for someone with clear dark skys, make the most of them.

Best wishes and clear skys.

Dave.

Welcome to the forum Farid. I would normally say good luck with your hobby but if there is one thing for sure, you do NOT need LUCK! you are quite clearly very accomplished with your Astro Photogrphy and quite obviously a very experienced expplorer.

It's great to have you here. People like me make the numbers up and provide all the silly questions but people like YOU are quite capable of providing the necessary experience and information that makes this forum the wonderful universe of knowledge that it is.

THANK YOU for joining us, I hope you enjoy your stay here and don't get too fed up with us newbies.

All the best

Bob

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your replies! Probably most of you are living in the northern hemisphere, but surely we can share many techniques and observing tips here and some nice objects visible from both sides.

My city is like any other city, struggling with light pollution, humidity and some tall buildings blocking the sky, but the main advantage is that you only need to go a few kilometers away, toward the East (my preferred stargazing site is 50km away), and you will find very dark skies with almost no clouds because you're climbing at higher altitude above sea level, then the clouds can't reach you anymore :) So you can come here anytime you want, and I will be happy to show you our skies!

I will explore the forums to see your great experiences and see what I can contribute yo your group.

Best regards!

Archived