Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galaxy Season: A Brief Introduction to the Milky Way & Observing Galaxies

Qualia

• 2 months later...

I have to concur with John, Rob. With one exception.
In the ten years I have sailed across the universe as crew member on the good ship SGL, your post is the most pleasurable I have read, sorry, as yet, only partly read. I will return to it though, it deserves a complete study.
It contains an eduction in itself, of this magnificent enigma we know as the universe. Very much more awaits discovery, and posts like this may be the inspiration to young potential scientists who read it, to go on in the future to help further man's knowledge of the vast cosmos in which we are but a microscopic resident of. That itself is quite extraordinary.
Thanks for your very educational, and informative inputs to the forum.
Ron.

• Like 4

Thank you for your kind words, Ron. You are a true gentleman and very thoughtful :smiley: It was a pleasure to put together and write and if it helps or inspires others, then what a bonus! However, words like your own are what truely inspire and make SGL the warm and wonderful community it is. Thank you.

Paul, sadly for me serious galaxy season is over. I had a great innings over the spring but now the summer constellations are calling: globs, nebulae, and gorgeous rich star fields. Good luck if you get the chance :smiley:

I didnt mean right now over the summer. I'll work through them as the seasons roll by.  Off hand, i only know the location of about 6 galaxies without having to use a reference chart etc. They are the ones i have spotted so far over the yrs: Leo Trio,Andromeda,Black Eye and the other one eludes me right now.

Your summer list tickles me pink. Sadly i really dont do much summer observing mainly because of the time it gets dark and im too comfy infront of tv and/or ready for bed.

I'll do my best this summer but i will be away for most of August with only 10x50 bins.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I hope one night to see an elliptical galaxy. They have always fascinated me as older DSOs further back in time still - nearer the beginning of our Universe. 

And that is one of the wonders of naked eye observing to me, looking at an image that has reached us projected by an object which may no longer exist or be as we see it today. 

Edited by 25585
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, 25585 said:

I hope one night to see an elliptical galaxy. They have always fascinated me as older DSOs further back in time still - nearer the beginning of our Universe. 

And that is one of the wonders of naked eye observing to me, looking at an image that has reached us projected by an object which may no longer exist or be as we see it today. 

There are a few Quasars visible in 12" scopes which might be of interest:

Chart1-580x280.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yup!

There's no denying it; a good read and helpful overview.

And I'll echo one or two previous commenters. I'm also aware that taking ones thoughts and knowledge, then writing it into something coherent takes more time and effort than folks sometimes realize.

You're to be commended for putting that effort into it. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 06/04/2015 at 22:38, Qualia said:

If you don't succeed one night, or you can’t go out for weeks on end, don't be down hearted. In most cases, during that time you've probably discovered something new about yourself and those stars and DSOs will be back to give you another chance, another night.

Several years late to this thread,  which is brilliant by the way, but had to say this paragraph, especially, got me. 

Reassuring words that apply to more than just watching the sky