Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_nb_dso.jpg.eb6cd158659331fd13e71470af6da381.jpg

Qualia

Galaxy Season: A Brief Introduction to the Milky Way & Observing Galaxies

JemC    660

Wow,

To you sir i take my hat off, what an absolute brilliant post :icon_salut:

Very informative, nicely put together and am liking those list of what to look for :smiley:

Thank you

• Like 1

cotterless45    8,510

Brilliant post augmented by your superb observations. Many thanks for posting and

Clear skies !

Nick.

• Like 1

Qualia    4,834

Thank you for the kind comments. It was fun writing and hopefully will be of some help to new comers and oldies alike :grin:

Pondus    585

I`ve read your previous posts (What can I expect to see, and  Mars observing the red planet) so many times already. They`ve been highly informative and

have definitely helped me become a better observer. And here you provide us with another brilliant post.

I doubt I`ll ever go beyond novice status when it comes to astronomy and stargazing, but believe me, your posts are so incredibly helpful for me.

Thank you ever so much Qualia. 

Truly amazing.

Rune

• Like 2

David Smith    5,568

A truly epic post Qualia and some great sketches. You clearly have a lot of talent and patience when it comes to sketching what you see.

• Like 1

Qualia    4,834

Thank you for your kind words, Rune and David. To be honest, if it weren't for gentlemen like yourself, I'd be a bit at a lost compiling notes and sketches with no one to share them with. So the entire thank you and inspiration really comes down to you guys :grin:

Thank you :smiley:

• Like 2

Chinapig    119

Stunning, definitive, engrossing and so completely and sensibly useful!

Brilliant job Rob - something to savour and revisit, over and over...

Must be one of the most comprehensive and succinct what-are-they, where-are-they and what-can-you-see guides that I've ever read!

Are you planning to write a book? I reckon they'd be a fair few customers on SGL alone!

Thank you so much.

All the best

Simon

• Like 2

mapstar    5,532

Very interesting read and great sketches and well put together.

Galaxy hunting is my favourite bit of the hobby and the thrill of looking at a star chart and hopping to find a galaxy give's me great pleasure.

So many to see, and as you say visit and then re visit especially the ones that get a wow in my notes.

Thanks for putting a lot of effort into that post, it take's a lot to write up your thoughts

Damian

• Like 1

John    17,139

Rob, this is one ot the best posts I've read here for a long time, and there is a lot of great content posted on SGL ! :smiley:

Despite a few issues I have with light pollution, trees, neighbours houses etc I'm determined to do better on galaxy observing over the coming 12 months. Most of them may be faint and fuzzy but they are awesome objects when you consider what you are seeing :smiley:

• Like 2

damnut    969

Hi Rob,

What an absolutely awesome post. Thanks for your hard work on this one. The comparison to images and sketching from the eyepiece is brilliant.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

pepitoz    26

Amazing work, Rob! Clearly put out information and great, realistic sketches. One of the best posts I have ever seen on any forum. Ever.

Again, bravo!

• Like 1

Piero    2,729

Superb post Rob! This and the one about planetary nebulae are the best posts in this forum to me.

They should be on a special section "above the sky"!

• Like 1

Qualia    4,834

Thank you so much for your kind words :grin: You are all really good sports and make SGL the very special place that it is :smiley: Seriously, thank you :icon_salut:

• Like 2

Pig    4,807

Fantastic post Rob :laugh: The peoples poet strikes again..... some great content and the images are nearly as good as your sketches :smiley:

• Like 3

Kishen20    25

What a "WOW" post. Very informative and fun to read! :D

Solved some questions about what to have when having a telescope & also I learned many new things!

Always loved your topics like these!!

Note to myself: Awaiting for Qualia's next post!

• Like 1

KevUU    279

And BOOM, Qualia strikes again :D

As someone who thinks he knows a bit about some of this stuff, I'm flabbergasted at how much information you have packed into here and how much of it was either new to me, or more coherently and cogently explained than I've seen before.

And I know how much time it takes to write technical things down properly, how much effort it takes to convert it from a jumble of details to a coherently narrated guide which is easy to read and leads you through the material gently and neatly.

So once again, thank you. I tip my hat to you, Rob. :)

And +1 to the idea of you collecting these into a book - I would buy 'The History, Science, Observation and Poetry of the Universe, by Qualia' in a heartbeat :D

• Like 2

Pig    4,807

What can one say...compliments come a flooding young Rob :laugh:

• Like 1