Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If money was not really a object

I'll list my eyepieces in order so you can see what they are used for. I do have a lot, but that's because of previous scopes' eyepieces now not fitting in with the C925. My three 'cannot do without' eyepieces are listed in bold.

42mm LVW: The widest view in a C925
32mm Plössl: The widest view in 1.25" fitting (not used)
25mm Plössl: Came with the scope (not used)
22mm T4 Nagler: DSOs - my favourite eyepiece
17mm T4 Nagler: Closer look at DSOs - planetaries and globulars
13mm LVW: Closer look at DSOs - planetaries and globulars (this was my DSO eyepiece from a 250mm Newt)
12mm NLV: Planets in average seeing
10mm NLV: Planets on most nights - best eyepiece for Jupiter
10mm Radian: Planets - bought to compare with NLV - prefer NLV so not used
9mm NLV: Left over from the 250mm Newt (not used)
9mm Ortho: (Not used)
8mm LVW: Moon viewer
7mm Ortho: (Not used)
6mm TMB II: Double stars - planets on nights of excellent seeing (rare)

If you are wanting a 40mm 2" then you might think about something other than the LVW on cost grounds. I bought this to go with an 80ED for variable star observing, it just so happens it's great on the C925 too.

I have far too many eyepieces - I just don't like parting with them... ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Michael I'm definatly going to take your advivce mate and get the 22mm t4 & the 10mm vixen to start and then if I need to I will go from there.ok everyone I'm off for a while thanks again for all your help have a great day everyone and I will speak to you all later

Thanks Michael I'm definatly going to take your advivce mate and get the 22mm t4 & the 10mm vixen to start and then if I need to I will go from there.ok everyone I'm off for a while thanks again for all your help have a great day everyone and I will speak to you all later

Good choice, and buying decent stuff means you can always sell them again easily unless you're like Michael and me who can't bear to part with anything  :grin:

Dave

This may surprise some on here but if I was using an f/10 scope I wouldn't be thinking about buying Naglers. There's a lot of cheaper options out there that will perform just as well in slower scopes.

UWAN's and Nirvana's for a start. 

Second hand delos eyepieces would perform really well in the C9.25. My former C8, I used a 10mm delos which became a favourite planetary eyepiece and good all-rounder at higher power. Tracking on the scope helped a lot to, though the apparent  field is  generous 70 degrees. I had considered a C925 myself some time ago, personally I feel that a 12mm delos would work really well with this scope commanding 196X, a 10mm to when the seeing is good 235X. 

This may surprise some on here but if I was using an f/10 scope I wouldn't be thinking about buying Naglers. There's a lot of cheaper options out there that will perform just as well in slower scopes.

UWAN's and Nirvana's for a start. 

That was just the point I was trying to make earlier in this thead :smiley:

That was just the point I was trying to make earlier in this thead :smiley:

I get that John, but given the OP was looking at highish end eyepieces, I think I would want Televue QC and performance? Michael's experience with the very same scope also carries a lot of weight.

This thread just illustrates one of the problems of asking advice, you get back multiple different opinions, most of which have merit!! It then becomes difficult to decide; you move from a position of not buying through lack of information to not buying through too much info so can't decide!!

Mark, I guess the only further advice I can offer is to research each of the options discussed and to see which appeals. If possible get to a club or event so you can get your hands on some of the kit first hand.

I get that John, but given the OP was looking at highish end eyepieces, I think I would want Televue QC and performance? Michael's experience with the very same scope also carries a lot of weight.

This thread just illustrates one of the problems of asking advice, you get back multiple different opinions, most of which have merit!! It then becomes difficult to decide; you move from a position of not buying through lack of information to not buying through too much info so can't decide!!

Mark, I guess the only further advice I can offer is to research each of the options discussed and to see which appeals. If possible get to a club or event so you can get your hands on some of the kit first hand.

I think my starting point in the thread was Tele Vue and Pentax but I got an attack of remorse later and tried to find a lower cost but still good approach :rolleyes2:

I think my starting point in the thread was Tele Vue and Pentax but I got an attack of remorse later and tried to find a lower cost but still good approach :rolleyes2:

OP seemed happy to pay for premium eyepieces so hopefully remorseful approach unnecessary [emoji6][emoji3]

Firstly, I would consider a maximum budget you seriously intend to spend.

Secondly, I would follow the advise of Swamp Thing.

I would also comment that although getting high quality equipment is important, you don't need to spend a fortune for getting the best for your telescope especially at f10.

And particularly if you don't know exactly what you need at the moment, I wouldn't invest in super super eyepieces, e.g. ethoi, big naglers etc.

I believe or like to believe that eyepieces are an investment. However, they can be very expensive too, and almost everything can be resold if you have to.

Just a thought

Also, in this hobby it is easy to over-spend and accumulate equipment.

Join a club if you can, get a knowledge on eyepieces and how they behave at different focal ratios. If you are unsure, REALLY consider buying second hand. Astro buy and sell is a nice website.

My approach when it comes to ep's is to go to star parties and use other peoples :)

In all serious though,  it's a great way to know whats available and what you can expect to pay. It's pointless paying £200 for an ep if you're happy with a £50 one. conversely it'd be heart breaking paying £200 if it's not going to make you happy. either way, it's a lot to spend on the word of someone else. horses for courses and all that :D

Thanks a lot everyone for all your help I have a lot of thinking to do I will try and find a local club as suggested and go and have a look at the eyepeices if possible,I have managed to get out in the back garden tonight and use my scope for the first time :) as you know by now I only have the 40mm plossl that come with the scope,I see Jupiter very clearly but pretty small (I know this is not a planetary Veiwing peice) but I was very pleased with what I saw clear bands and some pretty good colour,I did see the Orion Nebula but I think my Alignment was slightly off and so in less I was looking at Jupiter I was getting lost a little bit.Anyway practice makes perfect n all that,I tried to look at many different dso but didn't see anything else I assume this was because of my alignment,I say it was off because although I did a 3 star alignment and the cpc said it was ok but when I slew to Jupiter each time I had to manually slew maybe 2/3 inch to the right each time to have it come into view so am I right in thinking I was a bit off on alignment ? However I still had plenty of fun and whatever EP i end up getting I'm sure I've got countless yrs of enjoyment ahead of me.

Archived