Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

If money was not really a object

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi mate I will definatly be viewing both deep sky and planetary

I have a celestron cpc 925 with a altz goto mount.

Not a particularly demanding scope as eyepieces go, mind having said that I use 13mm and 21mm Ethos in my 10" SCT and convince myself they give better views than £80 - £100 eyepieces did but this may just be me trying to justify the expense  :grin:

Dave

fair enough mate I have had ppl say to me that I should look for naglers or radions if I want high end peices as you know though as there are so many different makes out there it's pretty confusing to a newbie to telescopes

I think what Paul is trying to say is that although £200 is a nice budget for an eyepiece, there are some that cost many times that.

I'm not really the one to advice on top end eye pieces, I do know that my limited experience with televue eyepieces (the company that make radians and naglers) has shown them to be extremely good. some of the more experienced guys will no doubt be along with better advice than I can offer.

In the mean time, give this thread a read if you haven't already :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/43171-eyepieces-the-very-least-you-need/

Lol I see what you mean Luke I just didn't wanna seem like I was showing off or anything so I put a price up there,what I should have said Is I would glady spend £200 per eyepeice or more of need be to get the best I can for my scope.

I have a celestron cpc 925 goto with a altz mount

£200 is a sort of "bad" area.

TV Delos are more so that excludes them,

I think the next TV down are the TV plossls, £65-£120 I think. Would be good in the CPC, but I get the idea plossl's would not impress.

ES82 fit and are good, but it is back to the magnification.They are wide field and that seems to mean shorter focal length, so most of them are likely too short for the scope as they will deliver high magnifications. The 1.25" fittings stop at 14mm and you will need longer.

Next down in cost are the Celestron X-Cel's, 12mm to 25mm being good for the CPC.

Then below that in cost are the BST Starguiders, again 12mm to 25mm being good again.

I would suggest waiting, get the scope, get used to playing, check for a club around you if you fancy the idea.

You could do as I did some time back and buy 2 eyepieces to see how they perform, I bought the BST's.

Lent to a friend and had to prize them out of his hand to get them back (Meade Mak).

You could get 2 BST's and see what you think, you could get a couple of Vixen NPL's and try.

Thing is the CPC will work well with ES82's (£120) and Vixen NPL (£35). If the scope was a fast f/5 or f/4.5 then you would have to look at the higher end items but not necessarily with an f/10 SCT. For the CPC you need to consider the longer focal lengths and that wipes out some of the more expensive eyepieces oddly - dropping a 4.7mm ES82 in the scope is not going to be usable.

There are meade 5000 series somewhere, I think around the £100-£120 area, but could be utterly wrong.

Lol it's pretty confusing area isn't it lol you would think the more you paid the better you get no matter what lol thanks a lot tho guys

And I already have the scope ronin it came with a 40mm piece IT arrived on Thursday but due to the weather I have yet to get outside with it unfortunately.

40mm plossl I assume?

That was supplied for the wide field it should deliver, makes it easier to find things at first. I found that when I first used a 105 Mak, couldn't find a thing, so couldn't align. Went out next day and bought a 40mm plossl. :grin: :grin:

To be honest Celestron plossl's are quite good, they also look reasonable - well the couple I have rolling around somewhere do.

I am back to the suggestion of buy the BST Starguiders or the Celestron X-Cels, collect whichever set.

If planets are going to be a key item then the X-Cels over the BST's.

Simply the X-XCels come in 7, 9, 12, the BST's come in 8, 12.

I think the BST has a 15mm where the X-Cel does not, or it might be the 18mm not in the X-Cel range.

How about get the scope set up, use it a bit then get the 12mm BST and view Jupiter.

I have 4 scopes and about 40 eyepieces, possibly more. :eek:

Idea - the WO SWAN's - 20mm, 15mm, 9mm. (remembered I have the set of 3 at 1.25", wonder where I have them)

Small set of 3 at 1.25" and they will be usable with the 40mm (plossl?) you have.

Makes 4, and just live with those.

There are also Antares W70's from Rother Valley Optics.

There are just so many, it becomes difficult, and none are "bad".

Yes ronin the 40mm supplied is a plossl

Wow that's a lot of kit you got there mate lol,rother valley is where I actually bought my scope from so I would gladly buy from them again because of the excellent service I got.i will defo take your advice and probably get the x-cels mate as planets will defo be a target for me I will look into the wo swans & the Antares w70s and see how I go thanks for your advice it's much appreciated.

I have just been looking at the rother valley site and the x-cels they range from 2.5mm to 25mm should I buy the whole range or would that be wasting my money ?

And I noticed they also sell the celestron ultima lx pieces would these be a better option in your opinion ?

Buying the whole range would be a waste of money because 3 of them would deliver too much magnification to be useful with your scope. The 9mm, 12mm, 18mm and 25mm added to the 40mm that comes with the scope would make a decent set and the X-Cel LX's are good quality eyepieces that will work well in your scope. The 7mm might be worth having for exceptional nights but it won't get used that much.

You can of course pay a lot more than the X-Cel LX's cost but with your scope being quite forgiving on eyepieces my guess is that the performance gains from, say, a £250 eyepiece would be small and you may need quite a bit of experiece with the scope to notice them.

For what it's worth, the best eyepiece brands that I've owned and used over the many years I've been in the hobby are Tele Vue and Pentax. There are other brands such as Takahashi, Nikon, Zeiss and Leica which are also have a really superb reputation but I've not had much experience with those.

But for considerably less outlay that the above the Celestron X-Cel LX's will do a very good job for you.

Wouldn't consider anything below 7mm and that only for occasional use, don't think I have read of anyone with the 2.3mm.

Cannot think of a scope it would be useful or good in.

Since Mars is not around I cannot think of a use for the 7mm presently either. 7mm = 335x.

The 7mm is the concern, not sure it will be much use ever, but it might one day be.

Concerning Mars - read this on CN:

Mars – Planet that would always look like a mushy red smudge even if you were standing on it.

Now that is a very true description.

Suppose your bit of Essex is not near to Hertford is it ?

Concerning the eyepieces I have, I can think of 12-15 I have given away, damn just remembered 2 TMB's and a Burgess planetary I have also - 3 more, suppose I should count the 9mm ortho just in front of me. Better round that up to 50 eyepieces. I don't have to count the 2" one do I ?

No mate I'm not that near Hertford im afraid

Blimey 50 lol so I think as John above and ur self have said I may get the 9,12,18,25 mm to go with my 40 and start with them although I didn't realise carl zeiss made eyepeices I have a set of binoculars which are zeiss and the are second to none in my opinion

(Interesting) the good thing with those eyepeices is as well it says they area good for ppl who wear glasses which I do so that's a bonus.

What I use most with my C9.25 is:-

Deepsky: 22mm T4 Nagler

Planets: 10mm Vixen NLV

My full range goes 42mm, 32mm, 25mm, 22mm, 17mm, 13mm, 12mm, 10mm, 9mm, 8mm, 7mm, 6mm, but, the 22mm and 10mm are all I really need :)

What I use most with my C9.25 is:-

Deepsky: 22mm T4 Nagler

Planets: 10mm Vixen NLV

My full range goes 42mm, 32mm, 25mm, 22mm, 17mm, 13mm, 12mm, 10mm, 9mm, 8mm, 7mm, 6mm, but, the 22mm and 10mm are all I really need :)

ONLY 12 !!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

You definately need more. :grin: :grin:

How about a nice 20mm ? :rolleyes:

Archived