NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telrad

bish

Hello all,

I want to get a Telrad. First of all is there anything similar that would go on the existing SW finderscope mount. If I do buy a Telrad is it easy to mess up attaching it? Presumably if I don't apply the Velcro part bang on then the finder will be out? Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They attach with sticky pads, pretty easy to get in the right position as the base is angled to sit on the tube. As Swamp Thing says, it then has fine adjustment to get it exactly right

Thanks. I was thinking of just putting up by the existing finder mount. I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Having the two finders, optical and Telrad (or Rigel in my case) quite close together makes sense as you often find you use the two devices in tandem, performing an initial aim with the Telrad then siwtching to the optical finder to do more detailed alignment. It's worth taking some care to position them so that you can quickly and easily move between the two of them.

I -erm- used masking tape for a couple of outings to check I was happy with the position of the base before committing to the ever so sticky pads on my 250px - just a thought :) Very easy to align reticle in use, and holds alignment really well when dismounted/remounted.

Using the Telrad with the Finder is really a great help for finding stuff. I use the Telrad with Sky Safari on my phone. Not real star hopping, but very effective.

Best of luck.

PS they are amazingly dew prone though....

I -erm- used masking tape for a couple of outings to check I was happy with the position of the base before committing to the ever so sticky pads on my 250px - just a thought :) Very easy to align reticle in use, and holds alignment really well when dismounted/remounted.

Using the Telrad with the Finder is really a great help for finding stuff. I use the Telrad with Sky Safari on my phone. Not real star hopping, but very effective.

Best of luck.

PS they are amazingly dew prone though....

Good idea. Going off the subject - what do you think of the Obsession? If I ever come into any money I will order one.

[/quote name=bish" post="2570332" timestamp="1424379418]

Good idea. Going off the subject - what do you think of the Obsession? If I ever come into any money I will order one.

Hi - I've only been out with it 3 times: first two really rushed and poor skies. Work/weather/sick kids so a bit frustrating! When I get out a couple more times for a few proper sessions I'll write up my impressions better. Mechanically very very good - tracking is a dream as is balance for my range of EPs/binoviewer (I don't need an counterweights/adjustment between no ep and bino + EPs + powermate). Setup/teardown is great - this was important for me for usability. Optics - 0.97 strehl claimed @ 550nm - but I haven't star tested yet (haven't used fan to cool mirror - need to get a rechargeable battery pack). Mirror box is on the heavy side but manageable. I saw E and I think F in the Trapezium - a first for me, and strong green nebulosity - but I always saw it as light green in the 250px too.

I was seriously looking at a Sumerian Canopus and a Lukehurst - fine fine instruments, but the opportunity arose when I made some dollars out of a patent to purchase this for similar outlay, so I took the plunge for better or for worse. I've probably spent ~1yr looking to trade up! I see it hopefully as a lifetime purchase.

One thing I'll say: the 250px is still a great scope - love it.

[/quote name=bish" post="2570332" timestamp="1424379418]

Hi - I've only been out with it 3 times: first two really rushed and poor skies. Work/weather/sick kids so a bit frustrating! When I get out a couple more times for a few proper sessions I'll write up my impressions better. Mechanically very very good - tracking is a dream as is balance for my range of EPs/binoviewer (I don't need an counterweights/adjustment between no ep and bino + EPs + powermate). Setup/teardown is great - this was important for me for usability. Optics - 0.97 strehl claimed @ 550nm - but I haven't star tested yet (haven't used fan to cool mirror - need to get a rechargeable battery pack). Mirror box is on the heavy side but manageable. I saw E and I think F in the Trapezium - a first for me, and strong green nebulosity - but I always saw it as light green in the 250px too.

I was seriously looking at a Sumerian Canopus and a Lukehurst - fine fine instruments, but the opportunity arose when I made some dollars out of a patent to purchase this for similar outlay, so I took the plunge for better or for worse. I've probably spent ~1yr looking to trade up! I see it hopefully as a lifetime purchase.

One thing I'll say: the 250px is still a great scope - love it.

Thanks, I thought it might be a nice scope to use mechanically. I look forward to seeing your proper first light when you get some decent conditions. II too would probably keep the 250px whatever I upgraded to as they are great scopes as I think it will always come in handy.

I bought a Telrad then sold it? I could not get a sharp image with  the  reticule / rings  without wearing prescription  glasses, as was my decision, not to  wear glasses at the telescope, but the Telrad is now replaced,  as it felt as if something was now missing, so the second Telrad arrived, and is fitted as per the image. The plastic ( fizzy drink bottle?) acts as a dew shield, and is permanently in place. 

It still gets very limited use from my primary observatory, due to the light pollution, however from a really dark sky, I find it difficult to see the cross-hair on my basic 9x50 finder-scope, so this is where the Telrad comes into play

Hi Charic - like the transparent dew shield! How effective do you find it? I might be off to buy a bottle of coke so today :)

Yeah I need to wear my glasses for the Telrad and take them off for the ep too - a pain. I plan to get contacts at some point...

You can get a synta/skywatcher base for the Rigel quikfinder. Release base adhesive used to be pretty much permanent, i don't like the plastic screws on the base, used to be metal.

Zero power and RACI Finder, should find you must things unless the light pollution is too bad.

Cheers

Peter

PS I never got on with red dot Finders.

You can get a synta/skywatcher base for the Rigel quikfinder. Release base adhesive used to be pretty much permanent, i don't like the plastic screws on the base, used to be metal.

Zero power and RACI Finder, should find you must things unless the light pollution is too bad.

Cheers

Peter

PS I never got on with red dot Finders.

Thanks peter

I find the sticky pads to attach my Rigal Quikfinder to be very good, and when I have

finished my session I take the finder off and leave the base on the scope every time,

when the plastic release thingy has been used a few times it is easy to do,

"release thingy is a technical term",

and when I put it back on it's only needs a tweak to be in alignment again, my Rigel is an essential

part of my kit, used in conjunction with my 9 x 50 finder scope, wouldn't be without it.

used in conjunction with my 9 x 50 finder scope, wouldn't be without it.

That's what I plan to do. The 9x50 is great, but sometimes getting to the right area of sky initially can take more time than I would like.

Hi Bish, whether it's a Telrad or a Rigel, both do the same job, find the area using

the star hopping method then use the 9 x 50  finder, it's so much easier, I have never

used a Telrad, but as I say they do the same job, you will wonder how you managed

without one before, the sticky pads are very good with the Rigel, but not sure about the

Telrad, the Rigal is smaller but higher, and much lighter.

Which ever one you get, remember to switch it off after you have found your target,

other wise the batteries will run low, I only use the small coin type with the Rigel, and

they last a very long time, as long as you remember to switch it off. 

The extra height of the Rigel might be worth consideration - could be a good design feature.

I kinda think I could do with a Telrad 'riser' to make it a little easier to use at certain pointing altitudes. Adds Eu26 on TS site...

Hi Charic - like the transparent dew shield! How effective do you find it? I might be off to buy a bottle of coke so today :)

Yeah I need to wear my glasses for the Telrad and take them off for the ep too - a pain. I plan to get contacts at some point...

This dew shield is untested? As big as it is, I like the form of the Telrad, and dont want to hide it in foam carpet underlay ( my previous attempt to cover ) Im hoping to get out tonight, if it does'nt snow ( rumoured?) Usually if there is damp in the garden and fittings, then the scope is snug and warm indoors.

I just want to go out to a dark site (1 hour drive ) and give this telescope with my three branded eyepieces a good test between 8-10mm on Jupiter, before the nights get too light for the use of this telescope, its too light during the Summer nights. The joy of living so far North, yet so few Months of use, due to weather conditions over this present Winter?

Archived