NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 07/02 from Bembridge (almost opposition)

SnakeyJ

Thanks Felix (321?), nice to be able to actually see Jupiter at opposition!   The seeing wasn't great, but all things considered not so bad.

Here's a quick one from earlier in the session, before the GRS rounded the limb.

post-26731-0-01028100-1423299069.png

Like the grs shot the most. Looks like you did a lot of sharpening on the junior shot, and then smoothed it away with noise reduction. I have tried this so many times, I could never get the detail back once the smoothing has taken place. Junior is a good guide to the seeing you are getting. Under good seeing its white ring will be resolved.

The Grs shot looks less smoothed more as is. I like it a lot. good capture.

You're quite right Neil, the seeing was not so good for the earlier captures and I had to push the wavelets hard to bring out any detail in the second shot - the seeing was very fast and drifted out more than in, it was a real pig to focus for this.    Blue channels were distinctly average all night.   For the later shots I force flipped meridian and then re-collimated the scope.   I even managed a reasonable star test, though some way off Jupiter.    The wind was dreadful, often bouncing Jupiter off of the sensor and I've also managed to pick up some bad dust bunnies on the sensor and was trying to keep Jupiter centred in the top left 1/3 of a 640x480 ROI.    I think these must be on the secondary, as they stayed put when the camera was rotated and filters changed.   I'll have another play with the data later on, but had 2-3 good captures at the end of the session, so will try some WJ magic to see if I can improve the SNR and pull some more detail out.

It was good to get out though and get some reasonable results at opposition ;)

Thanks Stuart, Peter, Lee and Pete - feedback appreciated as always.   I still have more data to process from this session, but the skies have been too tempting (contrary to all forecasts) - drove home under a wonderful clear sky this evening, but seems it's supposed to cloud over again after 20:00pm.   I could do with the rest ;)

Archived