NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Chunky Filaprom, 18th Jan

Luke

A decent spell of clear here today, despite the forecast on the Beeb last night suggesting the clear patch would take its time. I loved seeing this filaprom at the eyepiece, it had a real sense of volume/depth to it. Took plenty of other shots, the proms were quite lively, but it will probably be 2016 by the time I process them...  Thanks for looking!

16310389982_f808389e93_b.jpg

15692689443_c34ebebb9e_b.jpg

---

18th January, 2015

Equinox 120, Quark Chromosphere, Grasshopper 3 camera (ICX687), 0.5x reducer

Thanks, Dave, Pete, Jarrod, Alexandra and David!

Jarrod, don't let me encourage you in any way as I am a hopeless fan of the Quark so am biased! (my dream come true after giving up on finding something that can sneak in closer than my SolarMax 60 without costing masses more - can't believe the dream was back on the very next day after accepting it wasn't going to happen due to tuppence in the astro piggy bank).

I think we'll see a lot of people add Quarks this year. I'd love to see some of the DSO imaging gurus add one to their mix, that already have some lovely fracs.

Here's another pic (first one for a little while that I haven't inverted) that shows a bit more of the area around the filaprom. Thanks for looking, Luke

16317202901_4e77798fc3_b.jpg

Thanks, Dave, Pete, Jarrod, Alexandra and David!

Jarrod, don't let me encourage you in any way as I am a hopeless fan of the Quark so am biased! (my dream come true after giving up on finding something that can sneak in closer than my SolarMax 60 without costing masses more - can't believe the dream was back on the very next day after accepting it wasn't going to happen due to tuppence in the astro piggy bank).

I think we'll see a lot of people add Quarks this year. I'd love to see some of the DSO imaging gurus add one to their mix, that already have some lovely fracs.

Here's another pic (first one for a little while that I haven't inverted) that shows a bit more of the area around the filaprom. Thanks for looking, Luke

Jeez that's another cracker!

I must admit I was unfairly sceptical at first but seeing the potential grow as people came to terms with them is quite spectacular. I now think these are right up there at the top of the class and I agree I think a lot more of them will be sold. I hope the price goes down and not up though but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. And I have yet to see(haven't looked mind you) any hot weather reports on it's performance.

My biggest concern now is could I get it to work with my donor scope for the mod or would I be better off with a new(larger) frac. That of course more than doubles the outlay and would put a huge blow in my SCT dreams.

Superb Luke. The detail, lack of noise and the 3D quality, certainly better than I can do with my Quark. I had come round to the opinion that the way forwards for me was a faster refractor, say F5 or better to use with a Quark, but your scope is F7.5 (I think) so that image blows that theory out of the window.

Robin

Thanks, folks!

Robin, out of the Quarks I have tried, two had the best "visual pop" (which I think was down to greater contrast) in an F7.5 scope (Equinox 120), while, curiously, two others seemed to have more pop in an F9 scope (Skywatcher ED100 DS-Pro). Sarah agreed. Both scopes performed well with all Quarks...

I would say least contrast/pop with all Quarks was with my F6 60mm scope, tricky to tell of course with the different apertures in play but you can get a kind of "zing" when it pops and I don't quite get that zing with the F6 (it still gives a fab view, just not quite as poppy). My Tele Vue 85, F7, has performed well visually with all the Quarks.

So I guess I would look at around F7-F9 for my big scope if poss, but that's just me based on my experience with the ones I have had. The F6 is no slouch and of course Smerral has done ace work with his F5, and the shortness of the scope can of course be a helpful factor. I am happy keeping the F6 as my grab and go even if something slower might edge it I suspect!

Superb pair of images, the depth of detail is exquisite. Easily up there along side Lunt 150 images at a fraction of the cost.

Still can't get to your standard from my captures, need some processing hints, Well first I need some sun, haven't seen it for a while on the south east corner. 

David

• 2 weeks later...

Well that just about done it for me Luke................going to call Altair & get one ordered, it will team up with my AA 80EDT.

With it being F6 I am hopeful that the setup will prove itself.

I have to say you have produced some stunning 'wall art' worthy shots with yours but that Chunky beast is by far the best.

Well done Luke.

Thanks, Steve!

Don't know about the Tal but the Quark gives a very good view in my F9 100mm (Skywatcher Evostar Pro). I have wondered what the Tal and Quark would be like, the Tal seems to be a popular highly-rated scope. You could ask Daystar if your wallet isn't looking :evil: Last time I heard there was talk of a Quark for the slower scopes (with a lower power Barlow) but I don't know the latest on that.

Archived