Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick hello from a newbie

mbalkham

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum (and astronomy and astrophotography).  I've been reading some posts (and watching youtube videos!) and managed to take my first few shots through the new telescope last night.  I'd appreciate any tips, ideas for improvement, etc.

Also looking for tips on navigating to targets and for good beginner subjects.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Hi Matt and welcome to SGL - If imaging DSO's is your thing (as opposed to planets) then you would do well to make a purchase of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' availabel in the book section of the FLO website. It really is an imagers bible for sure and will start you off in the right direction.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Matt,

Welcome to SGL & 2015.   You don't say what 'scope/mount you're using (or camera) :icon_scratch:     I'd definitely echo the recommendation to get "Stellarium" to help you locate tatgets. With the right mount and some techy 'know how' you can even use it to guide the scope directly (but that's running when it sounds like you're just starting to toddle!).  The books mentioned are also good reading.  You'll find all the help and advice you need on here - just ask.  Above all, have fun with the hobby.

Paul (The BSG) 

Hi Matt,

Welcome to SGL & 2015.   You don't say what 'scope/mount you're using (or camera) :icon_scratch:     I'd definitely echo the recommendation to get "Stellarium" to help you locate tatgets. With the right mount and some techy 'know how' you can even use it to guide the scope directly (but that's running when it sounds like you're just starting to toddle!).  The books mentioned are also good reading.  You'll find all the help and advice you need on here - just ask.  Above all, have fun with the hobby.

Paul (The BSG) 

Hi Paul,

I'm using a Skywatcher Explorer 200p on an EQ5 and shooting with a Canon EOS 6D (not sure how to add this to my profile/footer?)

Cheers

Matt

Archived