I was given a train set when I was 1, now it's my turn..

WPK

In fairness I'm not as bad as that.  My son (nearly 10) has been interested in science topics since tiny.  He's nuts about natural science and has  been asking for a telescope to learn more about the night sky.  I have always had a strong science interest myself so he was pushing against an open door.  William is getting a SkyWatcher 130p for Christmas on an equatorial mount.  My wife is buying me the Skywatcher 130p heritage on the dobsonian mount  - my logic being that William gets the flashier one and he can fall back on to the simpler to use on until he gets the hang of an eq mount.  So here's my question...assuming that first light will be 26th December what would you recommend as good targets in the Poole Dorset area to capture a man and boy's interest for ever?  Needs to be simple to find (I've never used a scope before) and wondrous!  Assume bedtime will be 2130 at the latest!  We could go down to our beach hut and view from there which will give us views over the sea from east to approx sw!  I'm assuming of course the weather is clear.  I'd be really grateful for any recommendations!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL  :smiley: .

There is plenty to see from Pool,  The orion nebular, Pleiades,  Andromeda,  Milky way,  

You can download for free Stellarium planetarium, to show you what you can see from Poole :grin: .    

The Moon is probably the best place to start, it's a spectacular sight through a scope and easy to find. it sets at just after 10:00Pm on the 26th. The Pleiades and Orion Nebula are also good candidates.

A pre-Christmas trial run might be a good idea to help ensure things go smoothly, if you've never used a scope before. Setting up your spotting scope on a distant object in daylight will really help (just be sure not to point it anywhere near the Sun).

Hope you both enjoy the scopes. ;)

I would suggest you get out reasonably early and start on the moon. it's stunning through any 'scope. there is also M45 (Pleiades) which is a lovely cluster of stars. a little latter ther is the orion nebula which is also worth a look. Download some free software called stellarium which is great for letting you know whats about. 

Edit: As usual, I'm late to the party :D

Welcome to SGL.

I have had a look in sky Safari and the first 2 candidates have already been mentioned. I will assume that you are starting around 6pm.

The moon is just over 5 days old and will be a little west of south and about 30 degrees above the horizon.

The Pleiades will be in the east around 40 degrees above the horizon and rising throughout the evening. Over the next 3 hours you will see Aldebaran with the Hyades and then Orion pass through the same area.

The Milky Way will be running from east through the zenith to the west . This is rich in stars and you will be amazed at how many more you can see with the aid of the telescope.

You may find it useful to work out what your field of view will be from each of your eyepieces.

Oh and depending on the eather, be careful of ice forming on your eyepieces or your mirrors.

Andy

Hi and welcome indeed. 

The Moon is probably the best place to start, it's a spectacular sight through a scope and easy to find. it sets at just after 10:00Pm on the 26th

And as a guide to the details of what you're seeing on the Moon, you could download the interactive Lunar Field Atlas in the II version kindly offered for free by Fred Dase http://www.astronomylogs.com/pages/moon.html

If you are up for it and the skies are kind, Comet Lovejoy will be coming into view at the end of December before it heads back out into the far reaches. On the 29th December it will be passing really close to the globular cluster M79 in the Lepus constellation, low in the South, which should be close enough to get both in view at the same time I think. It will be about magnitude 7 so should be clearly visible. I really hope the clouds are kind...

edit- you may need to extend bed time till 10pm for this :)

There is nothing with such an immediate impact as the "reach out and touch it" effect you get looking at the Moon through a telescope, I reckon.  There are countless fascinating objects out there particularly when you understand a bit more about them, but for that "Tango moment" I think it has to be the Moon.

James

Hi, WPK, a warm welcome to SGL - and to the worlds of amateur astronomy! I, too, would recommend downloading the free software "Stellarium". This is customisable to your own location - and even to your own scope - giving an idea of what you should be able to see at the eye piece. It will also help with not only finding objects, but also planning a viewing session. Downloadable here: http://stellarium.org/en_GB

As others have said, the moon will be a great introduction to astronomy (and using the scopes). If seeing the craters, ridges and 'seas' of the moon for the first time doesn't encourge someone to see "what else is out there" nothing will!

Hope that helps,

Martin

Welcome WPK. Brilliant that you've got your lad interested, hopefully it will be an important influence on the rest of his life, and possibly career. I can't add much to the excellent advice given in previous posts. My first "wow" moment was the moon, which I'm sure you'll find stunning.

One thing worth mentioning is to keep expectations reslistic. Don't think things will appear as in the so called "Hubble" pictures, or some of the amazing astro pics that you see here. For me, it's just mind blowing that the light from that faint fuzzy

DSO has travelled many thousands of lightyears to reach your eyeballs.

Keep in touch and give us a "first light" report.

Best wishes and clear skies

Jason

Orion nebula and the Pleiades, both should be easily visible by Dec 26, say arounfd 21:00.

I assume youy will be spending Dec 25 aligning finder to main scope. Do that during daylight on some distant object.

Another easy is Mizar the middle star in the handle of the plough, it is an easy seperatable double.

With Orion comes Betelguese and the 3 belt stars, could add in Rigel

Algireo and Almaak will likely be a bit low.

Between Orion and Pleiades is the Hyades and Aldebaren (Red star like betelgeuse).

Easy instructions:

Find Orion, find the 3 belt stars.

Under the belt stars is the Orion Nebula (Messier 42).

Above ahd left is Betelgeuse Red star (Orions shoulder)

Below and Right is Rigel (bright white star) Orions foot.

Follow belt stars (upish) Left to Right.

Bump into Hyades cluster with Aldebaren first, then bump into Pleiades cluster.

Follwo Belt stars Right to Left (downish) and there is the bright star Sirius.

Thank you all so much!  Some great suggestions that I shall enjoy exploring with William. I think he'll enjoy naked eye star gazing (and navigation) as much as he will staring through a telescope so I'm fairly confident we're going to have a lot of fun IF the weather is kind! Moon does sound like a great idea for first light and we can try for the comet as a bonus feature - managing expectations is important and I will ensure that W understands that the planets will still look small when we get round to them.  Again my thanks to you all! 

What ever targets you decide you will go for, how about pulling a short factual bullet list together.

So as you look at that grey smudge you can be discussing how old it is, how far away it is, what is it, how many stars make up that cluster etc. So you get the wow of what it is you found to wonder about and then the next day look at the hubble image for it.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Some great suggestions above, particularly the use 'Stellarium' (free planetarium software) but the most practical advice would be to use longer foal length eyepieces (one with the biggest number on the side) as this will help you locate your target a bit easier than starting with an eyepiece that is too powerful (small number on the side)

Wishing you both clear skies for the start of your great journey and hopefully one that you can return to time regularly in the future.

If you are careful around planes etc, a green laser pointer is really useful when teaching children. You can point to, say, the Pleiades with it, before then looking at them through the scope. Much easier that the whole "see the three stars over there? No, those ones. Well, to the left of them. No, left, and then up a bit. Do you see which ones I mean?" etc etc!

Thank you for the welcome everyone! We had beautiful clear skies last night down in Poole so I spent some quality time in the garden with my sailing binoculars (7x50) around midnight to start learning my way around the night sky.  Wondered why it's taken me 45 years to actually look up rather than across!  Feeling secure about the Plough, Polaris, Little Dipper, Sirius and Jupiter, Orion's main stars and the Orion Nebula (that's a wow even with binos) so keeping fingers crossed we'll get clear skies post Xmas!  Great advice from everyone - my thanks again and I will give you an update once William and I have had our first sky watching experience with the telescopes!

There is nothing with such an immediate impact as the "reach out and touch it" effect you get looking at the Moon through a telescope, I reckon.  There are countless fascinating objects out there particularly when you understand a bit more about them, but for that "Tango moment" I think it has to be the Moon.

James

I'm 46 and i still get that feeling when looking at the moon so +1 for the moon. 

Archived