SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Great Yarmouth

Reggieo

Hiya everyone, about to get my first telescope, Looking at loads, I THINK I know what I want  :undecided: I'm looking for an  8" SCT, its just finding one at the right price ! I would like one in time for Christmas  :icon_santa: missed a nice one today by being too Cautious, but I am sure there will be others. Eventually I would like to dabble with astro photography so there will  be loads of questions I am sure. 

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and hope that you enjoy your time here.

I guess the best fit of the 8" SCT depends on what you are planning on imaging in the future. If you are thinking that DSO's will be your bag, then a short focal length refractor such as an ED80 really would be the easiest way to go. Many of the DSO's are quite big and also the SCT is a little slow.

If you've not already done so, check out a scope and camera combo on this fov calculator - Will give you a feel for focal length http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php

Also, again if DSO's are your bag - Do get hold of a copy of 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the book section of the FLO website. It really is an imaging bible and you shouldn't spend a penny until you have read it ....... twice and fully understand what you want and why.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived