Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looping prom with chromosphere Quark, 4 Nov

Starman

Hi all,

Here's a shot of the lovely looping prom visible on the eastern limb today (4 Nov). Seeing wasn't great but the complexity of the feature merited staying with it. The [removed word] was taken through a Quark (chromosphere), 102mm f/9 refractor using a Lumenera Skynyx camera.

Best regards,

Pete Lawrence

post-60-0-65977800-1415141890.jpg

the Quark (chromosphere) looks like its equally suited for surface detail and proms, i was under the impression that the Quark (chromosphere) was surface detail only?

Despite the product names (!) Daystar themselves say there is some crossover. You can still see proms with the Chromosphere, and you can still see some disc detail with the Prominence version. But proms will look best in the Prominence version, and disc contrast will be best with the Chromosphere.

Proms look great at the eyepiece with the Quark Chromosphere, so for me, you should always choose the Chromosphere over the Prominence version, unless you really do want to focus on the very best views of proms at the expense of less contrast on the disc itself.

The Chromosphere versions are said to vary from 0.3A to 0.5A, and I have used one that I imagine was closer to 0.3 and one closer to 0.5A. They both gave very impressive views of proms! :) The "0.5" was best for proms, seeming to pluck out more structure, but gave less contrast on the disc than the "0.3".

So with a Prominence version I would expect proms to be even more amazing, but the disc contrast to be getting less as well.

Despite the product names (!) Daystar themselves say there is some crossover. You can still see proms with the Chromosphere, and you can still see some disc detail with the Prominence version. But proms will look best in the Prominence version, and disc contrast will be best with the Chromosphere.

Proms look great at the eyepiece with the Quark Chromosphere, so for me, you should always choose the Chromosphere over the Prominence version, unless you really do want to focus on the very best views of proms at the expense of less contrast on the disc itself.

The Chromosphere versions are said to vary from 0.3A to 0.5A, and I have used one that I imagine was closer to 0.3 and one closer to 0.5A. They both gave very impressive views of proms! :) The "0.5" was best for proms, seeming to pluck out more structure, but gave less contrast on the disc than the "0.3".

So with a Prominence version I would expect proms to be even more amazing, but the disc contrast to be getting less as well.

if i win the lottery it will be one of each then :grin:

• 1 year later...

Hi

I know this is an older post but I was looking for info on this camera - Lumenera skynyx 2-1 M. Does anybody know if it has an ir filter in or do I need to buy one separate? Also does anyone know any free capture software that works well with it? I've got the lumenera capture programme but can not use all of the features.

Thanks

Gary.

Archived