NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The night the Terminagler was terminated

swamp thing

Dan,

I got the 17mm first, liked it a lot. I then got the 13mm and really liked that one. Then I bought the 21mm 10mm and 6mm all in one go and S/H at that.  I sort of agree with John's reasoning about the Wow factor with Delos but I use all of mine in different scopes and I have a wider range of focal lenghts than many people. For me the 10mm  in the LX at 3 meters F/L is a different proposition to the same length Ethos in the M/N 190mm at X100. I am beginning to feel at the shorter end in the eyepieces having both D's and E's sort of makes the Naglers case bound.

I then bought the 8mm new which was a bit daft as it is the one I use the least but it is still a cracking eyepiece. As to whether the Delos can see deeper than the Ethos, I just don't know at the moment. I have two F/L exact matches in the case at 6mm and 10mm so I am going to re-assess with the new scope when it comes as my finding on the array I have at the moment are inconclusive.

Alan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a similar job at the recent DDA Starparty making Mr Francis question the value of his 13mm ethos! Boom, he nearly joined the "green side" and was only saved by the threads of his wallet! You think Ethoi are costly....

Pick your nebula or globular and let's have some fun.

PeterW

• 1 year later...

So are these eyepieces which really only benefit in larger scopes.

Would say a simple 200p be worthy of such an eyepiece or is it like putting a Ferrari engine in a metro.

The 200P is a very capable scope, no reason not to enjoy the benefits of wonder fields of view with either 21 Ethos or 31 Nagler.

It's not an aperture thing, they work beautifully in say an f6 or 7 4" frac giving 3 or 4 degrees of sky, lovely [emoji106]

Awesome article.... Great description and very entertaining... BUT..... Now I want that ethos!!!!! I just spent $1000 n the 31mm type 5 and now the ethos is calling out to me... There goes my other kidney!!! ;-)

looks like I've done it again..Stu,steve,simon...etc!

So are these eyepieces which really only benefit in larger scopes.

Would say a simple 200p be worthy of such an eyepiece or is it like putting a Ferrari engine in a metro.

I got my 31mm Nagler when my largest scope was a 200P dobsonian. It's one of my favourite eyepieces in my 4" refractor too because it shows nearly 4 degrees of sky - enough to fit the whole of the Veil Nebula in the same field of view :smiley:

With my 12" dob though I find the 21mm Ethos gets more use because of the slightly more efficient exit pupil and darker background sky.

Both superb eyepieces and I'd not want to be without either :grin:

......not sure the 21mm Ethos would suit my needs for my scope and present location right now , but given the choice I'd rather spend my money on a new 250PX and another s/h Delos and still possibly have some change?

I genuinely share your enthusiasm with this eyepiece, but I do note that some of you have massive Dobs? that surely goes a long way to getting the results you speak of. My present setup is only scratching the surface even with a 21E installed.

Enjoy your viewing, no matter what you use?

Awesome article.... Great description and very entertaining... BUT..... Now I want that ethos!!!!! I just spent $1000 n the 31mm type 5 and now the ethos is calling out to me... There goes my other kidney!!! ;-)

If you have chance to borrow a 21Ethos, and some EPs around 40mm (41 Pan, 42 LVW etc), to observe those fabulous large nebulas in your southern sky with your 8SE, there's a chance that you write another murder story :smiley:

Archived