NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The night the Terminagler was terminated

swamp thing

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going off thread sorry but I paid for it this morning, with the wife at my side and she has not thrown me out. She did n't know I paid for the mirror with my UK account otherwise I would be in the barn for sure.

She even asked if it would be a good telescope and will it last.

Alan

the 21 Ethos was the first TV EP I purchased and IMO there is no better EP.  However, I will never get rid of any of my TV EPs.  They are the standard of quality and the space walk is definitely the wow experience. Enjoy!

Looks like the 2nd acct is a trick every astronomer has in his pocket :-)

I have several bank accounts (not sure how or why this has come about). It allows me to spend happily on the assumption that they are unlikely to all be empty. However, I don't spend very much as I'm worried about the validity of the previous assumption.

The "Quantum Paranoia" fiscal model probably isn't for everyone, but it saves on the admin. :)

Paul

I've made the transition from Naglers to Ethos over the past couple of years so I've been able to make comparisons across focal lengths from 5mm to 22mm as I went. This migration has not led me to confirm that Naglers are anything other than really excellent ultra wide field eyepieces. The Ethos though are just a bit excellenter (good word there !  :rolleyes2: ) and a little wider as well :smiley:

I'm still holding on to my N31 though :wink:

As much as I agree that Naglers are very good, in fact I feel the same about the all groups of TeleVues eyepieces. I have really been looking and thinking hard about the 4.7mm, an eyepiece in the Ethos range that would have it's uses but I wonder if I would be just as happy with a 5mm Nagler which when all is said, is a fair bit less money and is the extra 18 degrees necessary at such power.

I like the 31mm Nagler in my LX which has a long focal length as you all know but it is not my first choice in the Mak/Newt I much prefer the 35mm Pan. I am sure when I get the Sumerian I will go through the same selection process though I think the 41mm Panoptic will get a lot of early scope time until I have my nudge nudge wink wink badge.

Alan

Out of curiosity anyone use the 21E wearing glasses or using the Dioptrx. Using my Nagler 26 with Dioptrx or glasses I have to have the eyeguard down to get the benefit of the full FOV and even then it's a bit tight. When I tried a 100° explore scientific the eye relief was hopeless for me.

As much as I agree that Naglers are very good, in fact I feel the same about the all groups of TeleVues eyepieces. I have really been looking and thinking hard about the 4.7mm, an eyepiece in the Ethos range that would have it's uses but I wonder if I would be just as happy with a 5mm Nagler which when all is said, is a fair bit less money and is the extra 18 degrees necessary at such power. I like the 31mm Nagler in my LX which has a long focal length as you all know but it is not my first choice in the Mak/Newt I much prefer the 35mm Pan. I am sure when I get the Sumerian I will go through the same selection process though I think the 41mm Panoptic will get a lot of early scope time until I have my nudge nudge wink wink badge. Alan

Interesting Alan. I find that at higher powers the Ethos range become much more desirable in larger apertures. The extra field At high power is IMO where the extra field is needed most. This is why I've been trying to save for an 8mm Ethos for some time (Powermated to 4mm. The 100 degree field will be almost essential IMO)

The exit pupil of the 41mm Panoptic will be way too big in a large fast Dob. You may find, as me, that the extra field is not really desirable in a large scope. Big scopes don't really do wide field, it's the image scale that comes with aperture that is their strength. This is what's so impressive with the Ethos over the 31nag. The ethos field is not much smaller but the image scale being so much bigger is what gives such a wow factor.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts Alan, when your 18" arrives :)

Since getting my 18 Ive been begging to use a 31nag and last Friday was my first real bash with one Alan and don't get me wrong stunning EP that it is on certain objects it just can't keep up with the ethos..I'm sorta with steve on the power,more time in the Fov.

Steve,

I think it is because my thoughts are only based on owning driven scopes. Apart from when I switch off the drive during an eyepieces test, I have done this a few times on Venus, say, my views are solely loaded in the driven direction. This is one reason why I said I would no doubt re-assess my eyepieces choice on the larger scope when I get it, I can see the appeal of massive FOV though, looks as if it could be the perfect F/L at 4.7mm  for you but may be a bit short on my scope, I have the 6mm though. 

At the moment a clear sky would be nice, awful here.

Alan.

If you still have the Powermate Alan you can use it with the 13mm and 8mm Ethoi to get essentially perfect 6.5mm and 4mm Ethoi which might give you an idea of whether such focal lengths would be desireable to you. I've often thought of the 4.7 Ethos too but there don't seem to be many about to come on the used market, which is where I'd much prefer to buy.

Interesting Alan. I find that at higher powers the Ethos range become much more desirable in larger apertures. The extra field At high power is IMO where the extra field is needed most. This is why I've been trying to save for an 8mm Ethos for some time (Powermated to 4mm. The 100 degree field will be almost essential IMO)

The exit pupil of the 41mm Panoptic will be way too big in a large fast Dob. You may find, as me, that the extra field is not really desirable in a large scope. Big scopes don't really do wide field, it's the image scale that comes with aperture that is their strength. This is what's so impressive with the Ethos over the 31nag. The ethos field is not much smaller but the image scale being so much bigger is what gives such a wow factor.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts Alan, when your 18" arrives :)

8 mm Ethos on UKABS

Yeah thanks Michael, it's the "trying to save" bit that's important here though :D

@Alan. It's not just the tracking that makes the FOV a winner it's fitting those objects in the FOV. The thought of globs completely filling a 100 degree field at high power is just mind blowing. At 360x M13 in my Barlowed 12mm Nagler it's pretty cool but at 500x filling a Barlowed 8mm Ethos :eek:

I guess I'm just a sightseer rather than a scientific type astronomer :)

I think at the end of the day the Dobsonian will be something completely new to me as for x360 and x500, I really think some work needs doing before I am good enough to keep them in the FOV. I used X450 last week on M57 and had to sit down for a while as I felt faint.

I used to Powermater the 8mm Ethos but as that was the only thing I ever did with it found that keeping it was a bit unnecessary so I sold it. As for secondhand 4.7mm Ethos, I do not think I have ever seen one, 3.7mm yes, a couple over the last year, 4.7mm, no. This eyepiece will give about X420 on the new scope, now for me that is over egging the pudding. Having said that I have never even seen a scope this size before and I do remember something Moonshane wrote about 2 years back, saying lager scopes in the 16 inch plus area need to be provided with some power to really see them shine, we will have to see and I will have new things to learn.

I think though there are very few eyepieces that I now would really like to see in the cases, it is maybe down to the fingers on one hand, but I think that is one of them, could be including the thumb as well.

Alan.

Archived