Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

what is your top five in DSO's?

bomberbaz

I haven't seen this question before and so I thought it would be interesting to ask so we can all see what each others preferences are.

I am leaving planets off the vote so this is why i stated DSO's in the title as almost certainly Saturn and Jupiter would dominate.

I also expect a few DSO's to figure strongly but that's why I started to see if there is any common ground.

OK me first, here I go.

Orion Nebula M42

Pleiades M45

Crescent Nebula NGC6888

Ring Nebula M57

M31 Andromeda Galaxy

There are several dso that i thought to put on the list ( Eg, ngc 457 owl cluster) but just couldn't bring myself to get rid of what are largley the better known ones, can't tell you why.

Note: I reserve the right to change any or all in that list at any time. :-D

#1 Milky Way -no scope needed!

SummerMilkyWayDylife2.jpg

#2 M42 -Nebulas don't get much brighter than this object

DSIR6152_stack_noels_1024_zps739e8fb8.jp

#3 Pleiades -the dust patterns are fascinating- good visual object too.

_DSF8238_HSL_STACK_HSL_noels_1024V2_blue

#4 M31 - King of the Galaxies

_DSF8218_19_20_21_22_tonemapped_noels_10

#5 Finaly I'd like to nominate the whole of Cygnus as it's a complete Ha nebula fest!

DSCF7326_1024_zpseff53393.jpg

Maybe one from each category?

Galaxy: I really like Triangulum for some reason. I chose it instead of Andromeda when I had a chance to image it with my camera lenses, despite the smaller size.

Open Cluster: The Pleiades must be hard to beat, either by naked eye, visually or for imaging with that lovely reflection nebulosity.

Globular Cluster: Not sure, I've never viewed one through a telescope or taken more than a test image of one.

Nebula: I love the discovery story of the Squid in the Flying Bat and that it was discovered recently by an amateur, and mystery of what it actually is.

Dark Nebula: Possibly the Horsehead but I need to explore some more, I've very intrigued by the many large ones that show up in my widefields. I like the horseshoe shaped one by IC1396 in Cepheus but I'm not sure what its designation is.

1) Orion Nebula  - can't wait to see it with the 400p under very dark skies this winter...with each aperture increase this stunning DSO just keeps on giving.

2) Veil Nebula

3) M17 - Omega Nebula - I love the Sagittarius area of the sky and always look forward to it coming around..a fascinating object seen through the oiii filter and without filtering.

4) M3 - a fantastic Globular Cluster in Canes Venatici...a lot tidier than M13 and resolves into pinpoint stars under the right skies.

5) M82 - The Cigar Galaxy - I love teasing out the detail in the central core.

Favourites are subject to change, but I haven't been out there with the telescope for over 6 months (due to some huge changes in circumstances) and these guys are the ones I currently miss the most. Cannot wait to get back out there. Although I am using the binoculars, nothing beats a telescope! :)

Am I allowed to mention just the one? For some reason, I really like M11. Perhaps my liking it could also be something to do with the name 'The Wild Duck Cluster'. I like it though because it looks good and despite looking like a Glob, it isn't - it's actually a very tight open cluster.

Archived