Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Andromeda galaxy now in full colors :)

Luis Campos

Ok, after the mono only image here goes the full color one, color data blended using the RGB Canon 450D (TEC cooled).

get.jpg

Setup used, the mighty ED80 with 0.8 reducer, Canon 350D mono for lum. and Canon 450 for RGB, both cameras TEC cooled, stack of 8x10 min. for the mono camera and 16x10 min. for the color data.

Cheers,

Very, very nice indeed. Is that a novel technique, combining the images from a mono DSLR and a colour DSLR? I see it will work, but I've never heard of the method before.

Thanks ;)

This is the easy and cheap way of getting very deep lum. data and combine with a second color DSLR for colors, it's cheaper then getting a filter wheel, LRGB filters, etc...and much faster too ;)

I believe I'm of the first ones using this technic, there are a couple others doing it now, especially using NB imaging (Ha) blended with RGB for nebulas, it's very effective too.

A mono DSLR is a very serious piece of kit, it's not perfect because debayer will leave it's (minor) scars on the sensor, but a good set of flat field images and ditther during aquisition will correct everythinf at 100%.

Cheers, 

Thanks ;)

This is the easy and cheap way of getting very deep lum. data and combine with a second color DSLR for colors, it's cheaper then getting a filter wheel, LRGB filters, etc...and much faster too ;)

I believe I'm of the first ones using this technic, there are a couple others doing it now, especially using NB imaging (Ha) blended with RGB for nebulas, it's very effective too.

A mono DSLR is a very serious piece of kit, it's not perfect because debayer will leave it's (minor) scars on the sensor, but a good set of flat field images and ditther during aquisition will correct everythinf at 100%.

Cheers,

OK thanks for that clear explanation. Pity you can't buy DSLR with a mono sensor. Could you use another sort of mono camera?

Could this be the winner of the 'Best Ever M31 With A DSLR' prize?! It's an absolute beauty. You've really turned on the neon lights in the blue areas. Love it.

We are no doubt going to see plenty of M31s over the coming weeks as it rises ever higher in the night sky, it's certainly next on my list, and you have set the bar incredibly high. I thank you for that. It's inspirational!

Wow :p

Thanks friends for the kind words blush.gif

Now I see in this good monitor where I'm at, that there's quite a bit of color noise and artifacts around stars, I guess I pushed the blue too far...a remake on the go for sure tongue2.gif

Gotta get me a decent monitor one of these days aimed at processing... my laptop doesn't quite cut it.

Cheers,

That's such a complete image Luis. It's very pleasing on the eye. At 600S subs how do you avoid bloating the stars??

Thank you,

I do several iterations of star reducing between some curves / levels adjust, I do a star selection and use the "minimum" filter and then reduce it to about 30% each time under "Edit/fade minimum". If you push this too much you end up with square stars, so proceed with care ;)

OK thanks for that clear explanation. Pity you can't buy DSLR with a mono sensor. Could you use another sort of mono camera?

Sure, any mono CCD can be used to extract maximum details and use the color from a DSLR the colorize you image, it's all a matter of resizing the images to one another :) I do that since resolution is different on my DSLR's are diferent (350D and 450D).

Cheers,

Archived