Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from light-polluted Leicester!

BlabyStarGazer

Hi everyone,

After four years of casual obeserving and several scope 'upgrades', I thought it time that I delved into the dark art of astro imaging and that it was also high time that I joined SGL too!  I am a 'semi-retired' (that's old folks speak for out-of-work) Accountant - yes, even accountants can end up unemployed!   At least it means that I can stay up late without having to worry about work in the morning, especially when the nights are short.

I currently own a SW 200P Newtonian on an HEQ5 Pro Synscan mount, a 'grap'n'go SW Evo 120 Refractor on an EQ5 Pro Synscan and a couple of Canon EOS cameras, neither of which are (as yet) astro-mod'ed. My home location is ...  well, it's pretty awful apart from directly overhead (very occassionally), so I joined the Leicester Astronomical Society in 2010 with the idea that some communal viewing might be possible.  I certainly enjoy the 'outreach' demonstrations that we provide in support of the "Stargazing Live" season, but viewing from any part of Leicester is restricted to put it mildly.

My education, in terms of things astronomical, is largely through the internet, playing with Stellarium to try to 'learn the sky' and discussing deeper subjects such as the significance of the ancient temples of Malta to Sun and Moon worshippers circa 3,500 b.c. at L.A.S.   At least I can actually SEE those things!

I have had my 5 minutes of fame and my first astro-pic published:  see page 28 of February 2014's S@N Magazine (the Startrail photograph in the 'Hotshots' section). 

So, that's me ...   the rest (my life and ancient history) will no doubt become familiar to those interested, over the course of the next thousand years.

Clear skies,

Paul   ....   The BSG

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Viewing from many parts of the UK is restricted to a great extent.

I tend to be of the opinion that we have to generally accept it and work around it all where possible.

discussing deeper subjects such as the significance of the ancient temples of Malta to Sun and Moon worshippers circa 3,500 b.c. at L.A.S.

Good to read that L.A.S. have been going for 5,500 years, must be one of the longer societies. Were the details of the talk in 3,500BC recorded on papyrus or rock ?

Good to read that L.A.S. have been going for 5,500 years, must be one of the longer societies. Were the details of the talk in 3,500BC recorded on papyrus or rock ?

@ronin   Neither!  They were encoded onto quartz-like crystal devices more suitably resilient to the rigours of time and space displacement.  This form of data storage medium was found to have a remarkable size:capacity ratio and was in widespread use by the late 28th century.  You were however, partially correct in one observation:  L.A.S. is one of the longer established Astronomical Societies in England.

Welcome to the site, have you had a look at the "Eastmidlands stargazers" website too

MM

@MagnaMan Hi to you - Yes, I am aware of the EMS group.  I neglected to mention that I recently joined the Central Midlands Stargazers too. Very much more active than LAS in terms of observing sessions and far enough away from the city to escape the dreaded orange glow.

Archived