Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi

Dark

Hi all,

Been a member on here for a while but I'm just getting back into astronomy as I'm moving out of town and into the country (hopefully much less LP).

This time round I'm hopeing to move more into imaging that observing so any advice is greatly appreciated.

James

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi James & Welcome to SGL. It's a great place to be for information & you only have to ask & you will get plenty of advice.  What scope do you have.

Hi Mary,

At the moment I have a skywatcher sky hawk 1145, its very much a beginner telescope but Ive really enjoyed learning the basics with it. 

James

Hi James and welcome to SGL - Imaging is an interesting if not downright frustrating past time! What are you interested in, solar system stuff or DSO's? I ask as for imaging they have very different requirements. While I've not imaged anything planetary, for DSO's it's all about the mount. You will benefit hugely from a good solid GEM as you will ultimately be wanting to go for long exposures to bring out detail in those faint and elusive targets.

If you think that DSO's will be your bag, then you'll do well to buy the book 'Making Every photon Count' available from the FLO website in the book section. Something of an imagers bible, read it through twice before spending a single penny. Then you will have an idea of what you need and why.

If you have an specific questions then just ask, none of us were born imagers :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for all the hello's, I've been reading up on the imagery side of things for a while now but it still seems a bit overwhelming! I'm sure I'll eventually get to grips with it though (with a lot of help from everyone on here…).

Hi James and welcome to SGL - Imaging is an interesting if not downright frustrating past time! What are you interested in, solar system stuff or DSO's? I ask as for imaging they have very different requirements. While I've not imaged anything planetary, for DSO's it's all about the mount. You will benefit hugely from a good solid GEM as you will ultimately be wanting to go for long exposures to bring out detail in those faint and elusive targets.

If you think that DSO's will be your bag, then you'll do well to buy the book 'Making Every photon Count' available from the FLO website in the book section. Something of an imagers bible, read it through twice before spending a single penny. Then you will have an idea of what you need and why.

If you have an specific questions then just ask, none of us were born imagers :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Sara,

Initially I would like to try DSO's and a bit of planetary (I was blown away the first time I saw Jupiter through my telescope so definitely have to give it a go ). I know its a big ask but I would like to use a DSLR to start off with, I'm hoping to use it for general photography as well to offset the costs until I find my feet. 

I'm looking for "every photon counts" as it's mentioned a lot in the threads I've been looking at. 

I've been thinking about my future shopping list and my thoughts are too go for the best mount I can afford (fully automated as my ability to find things is seriously lacking) and then slowly build everything else around that as I gain more knowledge and settle in a particular area although I think your right with the book reading before I buy anything.

James

Archived