HELLO AND HI TO EVERYONE FROM CHESTER

dubyad40

Having just retired I now have the time to start a hobby I have wanted to do for a long time.  I have recently bought a Celestron NexStar 5 SE which seems just right for me at the moment, easy to set up and get going without having to learn sky maps first.  Having absolutely no prior knowledge on this subject I hope joining the forum will help me answer some of the questions I have. I was just about to buy the Celestron eye piece and filter kit thinking I couldn't live without it but after reading some reviews on Amazon, one guy who gave it 2 out of 5 remarked " don't go out buying things if you haven't talked to anyone, I dare you to join stargazerslounge.com!  So here I am.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A warm welcome to SGL first thing i would do is to enjoy your scope and get used to it before getting any eyepieces and yes your right eyepiece kits are normally not good there are only maybe 2/3 eyepieces you will use and for the money you can buy better ones.

Hi and a warm welcome to SGL from me. You will find people on here are very helpful and it doesn't matter what you need to ask, someone will already have been there and be able to help.

You will find a free download called Stellarium is invaluable in getting to know the night sky.  Also if you have a smart phone, download Google sky as this gives you real time position of the planets and stars by just holding the phone up. You can also indentify anything you might be interested in.

Happy Stargazing and enjoy your Astro journey.

Hi and welcome to SGL - While I rarely actually look through a scope, I would say that you would be better off using what you have, learning the limitations of your existing kit before you go and buy anything else. The people of SGL speak a lot of sense!!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi welcome to the lounge,

and welcome to this wonderful hobby, I'm just up the road on the 

Wirral, hope you enjoy your time here in S G L, lot's of help and 

advice, and as everyone else has said stay away from eyepiece

sets, you will know yourself in time, what you need to upgrade,so

enjoy your scope and when the time comes post a question about

what you think you need to upgrade, we all love spending someone

else's money.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

hello and welome. don't hesitate to ask questions. someone will usually have the right answer for you. as said above, use what came with your set-up for now. it'll show you what you want for example, if lunar/planetary is where you find your interests heading then widefield ep's aren't going to be much help...the reverse can be said for deep space. Above all, make it enjoyable and don't get hung up with chasing bigger and better kit all the time. it can be soul destroying if you let it :D

Welcome to SGL. I'll jus echo what everybody else has said - It's probaly better to "measure twice and cut once". After getting a little more experience, you'll have a better idea of what accessories you'll make most use of.

Archived