Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If you only compare the prices...

emadmoussa

Just occurred to me  while shopping around for some new house appliances and furniture...oh man!! For example, a good 10% discount Delos eyepiece is almost the same price as a good brand new washing machine or fridge.

If you think of it in terms of size vs. price...then it's off putting :) Do you know that a good 10" Dobsonian is a similar price to a pair of double glazed windows...fitted? :D

I didn't think that my two 100-deg Explore Scientific eyepieces sitting on top of my bookshelf waiting for a new scope to come are a similar value as a brand new top end cooker! 

Making things worse yet, my next scope and accessories will equal in price a very good condition second hand modern CAR ...Shush!! Nobody tell the wife or I'm officially dead!!

Who cares anyway?! I'll get all these appliances and furniture pieces done and then turn the money splashing ideology towards the dark side, AKA, astronomy!!

Have a good day!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moved Emad. :)

LOL, I can chip in here, my scope cost more than my car........I don't know whether that's a good thing or not.

Exactly the same question that keeps popping into my head...

Thanks for the move!

While my wife couldn't look through a EP on a Dob when pointing above 60', she can't put stuff on the top shelf of the Upright Freezer either..... :)

I thought they stopped building sky scraping freezers...!

a good 10% discount Delos eyepiece is almost the same price as a good brand new washing machine or fridge.

If you think of it in terms of size vs. price...then it's off putting

Just as well that expensive astro stuff is so small.

Imagine trying to hide a washing machine from your o/h?

At least with an eyepiece you can try the "no of course it wasn't expensive ..... look! there's hardly anything to it. " :angel:

That's not so convincing with a AstroPhysics mount.

Cookers are much harder to collimate though but on the plus side clouds make little difference. :laugh:

Kinda depends where the clouds are coming from. sniff, can you smell burning?

Yeah, but then compare the costs to the clothes and shoes the youth of today want... A pair of trainers or a Televue/ Explore Scientific eyepiece. Easy choice.

However, if it is your hobby, spend the money. My uncle purchased an organ once, which cost a fair chunk of money. But, like he said, to him, that is his second car. And it doesn't need servicing, fuel, expensive repairs, tyres, etc.

Having just bought and about to fit a whole new kitchen including appliances, I can easily say that any astro purchases over the next few years will go unchallenged. Even got a new cordless drill out of this "job". Just have the small matter of fitting it all now, joy ;)

Cheers

Ian

You don't actually need to have Delos or ES-100's.

I suspect no-one put a gun to your head or anyone in your family and said "Buy those or else...."

I don't need a Delos, I sold them all. But the ES EPs are here to stay in my scope for years. You usually find your soft spot and stick with it: )

BTW, more mention of guns will get this more threaf locked: D

Having just bought and about to fit a whole new kitchen including appliances, I can easily say that any astro purchases over the next few years will go unchallenged. Even got a new cordless drill out of this "job". Just have the small matter of fitting it all now, joy ;)

Cheers

Ian

Taking the same path myself: )

Making things worse yet, my next scope and accessories will equal in price a very good condition second hand modern CAR ...Shush!! Nobody tell the wife or I'm officially dead!!

My current car is 17 years old now and cost me £600- it has (touching wood) proven to be a solid workhorse (boot loaded to the brim with firewood logs tonight for instance).

Volvo_zps58489783.jpg

I have spent more than that on a single coma corrector http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p4685_ASA-2--Newtonian-Corrector---Reducer-0-73x.html

People might wonder how/why I spend so much on astro kit? Well I don't 'waste' £15k on a car every couple of years trying to keep up with the Jones's ! As long as it gets me and the family from A to B in comfort & safety, that's all that counts.

EDIT- you can get a big scope in that boot too!

I'm with Haitch on this Emad, your expensive glass and that 16" dob (when she comes :) ) will give you many more years service than a modern car or white goods, so little is built to last these days.    And nowhere near the service and running costs of a car, cheap or otherwise.    You've worked hard getting the house and surely deserve a few little luxuries ;)

You cant fit a top brand washing machine into a 2 inch diagonal, so why would you want one ? :grin:  

i think you can..if you use the correct eyepiece and stand back a fair bit from the washing machine :grin:

I must have spent at least nearly £10000 on astro gear (and related software and cables etc) over the 

past six years. I am also about to by an EQ8 and possibly another CCD camera from my inheritance. if you include the cost of star parties (I go to three or four a year), lord knows how much I have spent!

Archived