Newbie from Southend on Sea Essex

tombola

Hi all. Been interested in astronomy for roughly 18 months now. After spending about a year using just binoculars ive now invested in a 8 inch dobsonian telescope. A Skywatcher 200p to be exact. Ive just got in from scanning the heavens and what can I say....blown away!!! Jupiter, Mars, Saturn as well as m81 and m82. All on my first night. Roll on tomorrow night!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and a warm welcome to SGL.  Good to hear you have progressed to a nice sized scope and it sounds like you have already had a good first outing.

Happy Stargazing and enjoy your Astro Journey.

Welcome!

My first night... or two... or three... consisted on swearing at my scope because I hadn't figured out how an equatorial mount worked. After that, it was just stars and more stars, as no planets were about at night when I started - they were all early morning!

As others have said, good first night!

Hi welcome to the lounge,

the 200p is a very popular scope here in S G L, especially the

Dob version, good scope, and good value for money.  Enjoy!

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

Hi from another Southend member, a warm welcome.

I'm also a member here http://www.cpac.org.uk/ where yet another warm welcome awaits  :smiley:

If you do come to the club, there's absolutely no obligation to join, or there's our public event in November, all details in the link.

We will also be at the same venue on Sat 12th July, 12.30 - 4.00 pm, as part of  Daws Heath village fair, hopefully for Solar viewing etc.

If you do turn up, ask for Ed, we can have a chat.

Hi Ed, many thanks. I joined cpac a couple of months ago and have been to a few viewing evenings. I can't make it as often as I'd like due to work commitments. I think ive looked through your scope a couple of times? 10 inch Orion dobsonian??

Hi Ed, many thanks. I joined cpac a couple of months ago and have been to a few viewing evenings. I can't make it as often as I'd like due to work commitments. I think ive looked through your scope a couple of times? 10 inch Orion dobsonian??

Sorry mate didn't realise you are already a club member  :smiley:

Yep, that's me, the bumbling fool with the 10" Dob  :grin:

Hopefully see you soon when you can make it.  Next Weds 7th is a "stickfest" when we all bring a USB stick with what we've been up to.

All the best, Ed.

Archived