Two Newcomers

Sharkboy n Dad

Hi all,

My son, Thomas (14), has recently (a few months ago) become very interested in astronomy. He is on special support at school and doesn't retain data very well but has an extremely positive attitude.

We have been viewing the night sky (and in particular the ISS) with naked eye and a pair of 7x50 binoculars. However, tomorrow (Saturday), hopefully we take delivery of a  Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube thanks to advice and guidance that we found within this forum and also from FLO. We liked this one because we can take it with us in the car when we go away.

We don't have any previous knowledge and so both Thomas and myself will be learning from first principles together.  With that in mind some of the information provided by you all for new starters looks very handy. I particulary like the look of the information from Qualia called "What can I expect to see".

Looking forward to some happy hours in the dark.

Many thanks already for the help even if you didn't realise.

Colin

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Colin and welcome to SGL - I'm sure that you and your lad will really enjoy your new scope. Make sure that you align the finder scope with the main scope, easier to do during daylight hours.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi to both of you, and Welcome to your new Hobby. One book that you will see mentioned, is a must for starters in Stargazing. I highly recommend. You buy a copy of ' Turn left at Orion '. It gives you lots of info. ;)

Hi to both

You might consider getting magazines "Astronomy Now" or "Sky at Night". They help by telling you what to look for each both and there is lots of other interesting stuff as well.

Peter

Hello to the both of you!

I'm sure you've heard of it, but 'Left Turn at Orion' is a really good guide to finding your way around the sky - it's advantage is that it also explains why your chosen object is interesting. 

Clear skies and have fun!

Hi Colin and Thomas and welcome to the forum. Lots of people waiting to help you should you get stuck on something technical or require some further ideas.

Clear skies for the scope's arrival and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Hi Colin and Thomas, welcome to SGL, I never thought the book "Turn Left at Orion" were so popular, but indeed is a great book for beginers (and maybe advanced astronomers). Maybe you have visited spaceweather.com, there you can find out when important astronomical events will occur so you both can be ready to observe!

Saludos!

Alejandro

Hello from Norway to both of ya. The Heritage was my first scope and I was amazed how well  a genuine grab and go telescope could perform.

I wish you best of luck with your new telescope, and hobby.

Rune

Welcome to SGL, Colin and Thomas!

A great book for beginners is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0547132808/sr=1-3/qid=1242337954/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1242337954&seller=&sr=1-3

I usually recommend it for those younger than Thomas, but in this case I think its clear and simple 'stick man' diagrams of the constellations will be easier to recognize and remember than the classical Greek interpretations.

It also has logical and easy to understand explanations (with appropriate illustrations) of celestial mechanics which, again, may help him retain the information.

Dana

Archived