Hello from the Mountains of Southern California! Photo help.... Please.

The Singularity

Hello Stargazers,

After years of living on a small island spending time taking underwater photos I recently moved to the mountains and I am beginning my journey in astrophotgraphy. I am trying to get myself set up for the next meteor shower and I am struggling with what lense to get and was hoping to get some advice.

I have been researching online, but it seems there are so many opinions. I thought I would try the experts.

I have a canon 7d and I am trying to decide between:

Sigma 30 mm f1.4

Sigma 10 mm f2.8

Rokinon 14 mm f2.8

Sigma 18-35 mm f1.8

Tokina 11-16 mm f2.8

Some sites recommend always using primes, but the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 is fast and would provide flexibility to my bag. However, the sigma 30 mm f1.4 is really fast. I just wonder with the crop sensor is it wide enough?

Or are there others that I should looking at... Canon?

I am really excited about this new type of photography and I can't wait to share with the group.

Thank you so much.

The Singularity

Hi and welcome to SGL - I am sure that someone will be along soon to give you some good advise. While I am into imaging, I've not used a DSLR for a long time and never tried widefield. Have a look in the widefield section, people will usually say what kit they use.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi and welcome to SGL and Astronomy too!

Again, I am no expert but I have heard that zoom lenses are not as good as a fixed lens in the same focal length. Like most things that are a Jack-of-all-trades, they are master of none!

Meteors are bright, so as Pete says F2.8 would be plenty fast enough. So, either the Sigma 10 mm f2.8 or the Rokinon 14 mm f2.8. Whichever gets the best reviews and is in your price range.

Good luck catching some meteors!

Archived