Greetings from Kent, UK

dvdxly

Hi,

I’m new to the Lounge and to astronomy, joining on the advice of Martin at FLO from whom I bought Steve Richards’ excellent guide to astrophotography.  I’d like, at some point in the future, to be able to use my Canon 7D for DSO, but for now I’ve taken the advice of SGL and ordered a SW Heritage 100P.  For £100 it seems like a great opportunity to get into naked eye astronomy, so that my wife and I can start to learn our way around the skies.  We live in Swanley, NW Kent.  Our rear garden faces SE and we’ve managed to catch a glimpse of Jupiter’s moons through an old, cheap spotting scope...and we’re keen for more!

I really enjoy the friendly atmosphere and depth of knowledge willingly shared in the forums.  I hope to be able to contribute at some point, though for now I’ll be mostly reading ;-)

Best wishes, David and Catharine Oxley.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello David and Hello Catharine welcome to the lounge,

sound advice from Steve, you need to learn as much as you can before

going down the A P road, the scope will certainly help you to learn the 

night sky, which is a must for everyone in this wonderful hobby, you will

both enjoy your new scope but you will have to have time limits for each of 

you while observing, we don't want any squabbles, it might have been safer

to buy two, only joking, so enjoy your new hobby as it's quite a learning curve,

but help is always on hand here in S G L. 

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Welcome to SGL both David and Catharine - This is a great place as you have already discovered. I'm sure that you'll really enjoy your new hobby. Remember none of us were born astronomers, we all started from the same place :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi David & Catharine; Welcome to SGL; enjoy your new scope and getting to learn your way around the night sky..........it will be fun (and sometimes probably a little frustrating!) but you will no doubt get a lot out of it. I`m in Kent also; near Ashford.

Hi, David and Catharine, and a warm welcome to SGL! if you haven't done already I can recommend downloading the free plantarium software 'Stellarium' which many on here use to help locate objects in the night sky and to plan for a viewing session. It is customisable for location and for individual scopes/bins - giving you an idea of what you should be able to see through your eye piece.

Hope that helps.

Martin

Hi, David and Catharine, and a warm welcome to SGL! if you haven't done already I can recommend downloading the free plantarium software 'Stellarium' which many on here use to help locate objects in the night sky and to plan for a viewing session. It is customisable for location and for individual scopes/bins - giving you an idea of what you should be able to see through your eye piece.

Hope that helps.

Martin

Hi Martin, and thanks for the tip.  I'm trying out Cartes du Ciel which is also freeware and very comprehensive with its deep sky database.

Archived