Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars 23/03 from Bembridge

SnakeyJ

Nice one Jake, I have not had a look at Mars so far this year,with being up at 05.30 every morning by the time it clears one of my walnut trees I'm in bed. I wonder how big a scope would need to be to see it that good through an eyepiece, probably as big as the lighthouse at the end of the Needles.

Alan.

Gorgeous images, Jake and thank you for sharing them :grin: . If I get the chance tonight, I'll see if I can do a little more martian observing.

Thanks Qualia - hope you get a good clear shot tonight. I have serious, but interesting work commitments tomorrow, so can't stay up late tonight :( A bit of a blow as the forecast and potentially the seeing look good!

If you do get Mars and/or Saturn - I'd be interested to see how much detail can be resolved from the EP. I'm assuming the big gun (Moonshane) isn't planned and you will be out on the roof?

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

Looks very good. You still seem to have a little misalignment of the red and blue channels. I reckon that may well be fixable.

James

Thanks James, just a quick 'n dirty process whilst waiting for Saturn to rise in to view - I'll have another poke with R6 RGB align, or manually in Gimp. Blue channel was the usual mush last night, so this is carried by R&G.

Might just check that the blue filter is correctly seated in the FW - not sure if this might make a difference and put blue a little further out than it would otherwise be?

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

I managed a basic sketch of Mars last night which pretty much represents what your image shows but (using a newt) I saw the smaller polar cap ar about four o'clock. would this be right? it's incredibly small and quite trick to get any sort of steady image before midnight and I am hoping to confirm what I think I saw

Great image Jake.

Just one question - do you EVER sleep, seems you are out all the time and then uploading those great images.

Well done.

Lee

LOL - probably not enough, but I quite like being grumpy at work (I'm not allowed at home).    Saturday night was great and it was a real treat to be out for so long, but most of my other forays to the obs are for a couple of hours at most.      I had a little play last night, though seeing not quite as good as I'd hoped and I came in after 4 runs on Jupiter.

Times may be a changing at work and I may have more hours and even a house move coming up in the not too distant - So time to make hay while the sun and moon aren't shining :) 

I managed a basic sketch of Mars last night which pretty much represents what your image shows but (using a newt) I saw the smaller polar cap ar about four o'clock. would this be right? it's incredibly small and quite trick to get any sort of steady image before midnight and I am hoping to confirm what I think I saw

I'm using a newt too :)  I had a couple of visual sessions on Mars at the end of February at IW Star Party, using my 8" Vixen R200S and 6" Bresser AR152S - bright small and wobbly giving little if any discernible surface detail, but plenty of colour (atmospheric dispersion).    I'll definitely have to have another go nearer opposition if we get some reasonable seeing - having seen Qualia's sketches (not sure if this is from the RS100 or the 10" dobsonian that you made for him).   Though I might invest in a high power otho as I've little decent below 8mm, other than a Meade 4000 6.4mm SP.

lovely Mars Jake, very well done! :smiley:

Alas, work commitments now don't let me get out anywhere near as much as I'd like. I'm itching to have another crack at Mars though before it's too late! :angry9:

Kind regards

Harvey

Archived