NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What is your GRAB n GO Telescope ?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a jewel. :smiley:  The scope is over 40 years old and functions flawlessly.  

Got to tell you about the tripod though. It's an old Tiltall # 4602 model, which like the Questar is still being manufactured after over fifty years; there's even a forum about them. The quality is on par with the Questar, ours seems to have been built to last forever. I've often seen them on ebay going for around fifty pounds / dollars. This is a real sleeper item and appears to be under the radar; it's one of those accessories I'll never sell; well worth looking for. 

Oh, and the drummers stool was a charity shop buy for under a fiver. :smiley:  

12" F/4 newt on alt-az mount with castors. I can wheel it out of the garage in less than a minute. Aperture dosen't seem to be the defining factor in grab-and-go...I see plenty of big dobs in the list.

My AP setup is only an ED80 on a vixen sphinx mount and that takes 30 mins to get going reliably by the time all the wires are in the right places and the alignmemt is done....

RL

My 10" Dob is also a very quick set up, but I don't see that it fulfills the 'Go' part of Grab and Go. It fits in the car okay but I couldn't take it on holiday or even a walk down to the park away from local streetlights.

Grab and stay put, yes my Dob but grab and go is the little refractor. A suitcase or lightweight truss Dob would be different though :)

i have a couple. 

my homemade 50mm bino guide/finder scope,

SW ST80 (lovely 400mm prime photo lens), no mount in daylight, but i couple it to my merlin at night.

90-300 mm canon lens. 

these are my grab n go, i could also throw in a canon nifty fifty, its in my bag but gets less use than the 90-300.

Having only two scopes this one is easy for me, the Heritage 130p. Not that the 10 inch isn't quick to set up, but for things like high power viewing like planets in particular it takes a lot longer to settle and cool for optimal views, and still takes a few walks in and out of the house to setup, mount, OTA, eyepiece case etc.

The 5 inch is noticeably quicker to get going in that regard, and you do literally pick it up in one hand and the eyepieces in the other , it really is grab and go x2 compared to the 10 inch :smiley: .

My grab and go set up is the APM TMB 105 f/6.2 triplet Apo, mounted on a Tele Optic Ercole Alt Az mount and a carbon fibre Gitzo GT5532 6X Series 5 tripod (trying say that lot 3 times real fast!).  Also my airline portable set up.  Total weight of that lot is around 11kg, but the mount can take an OTA of up to 8kg (OTA actually 6kg including rings) without a counterweight (18kg with).

post-24651-0-32964200-1395255602_thumb.j

Archived