Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is your GRAB n GO Telescope ?

My Grab and Go is a pair of 20x80 binoculars on a Velbron tripod . With 8x 36 Nikons round my neck . The Velbron tripod goes up to 6ft high ,lean it back on one leg and you are at the Zenith . Waiting for delivery of a Celestron 102 SLT as a grab and go . All to compliment Tal 150 p on CG5GT mount .  

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey that's cheating you can't count an EQ mount as a grab and go! Lol :)

And what about those people who have only one scope - I have a 5" reflector on EQ5, it's pretty heavy but I sometimes just grab it and GO :grin:

(I recently started a serious workout to be able to carry even heavier stuff). Clear skies!

I can have my Skyliner 200p set up in the garden or loaded in the car in less than 5 minutes, however cool down negates it from being a true grab and go. Spur of the moment sessions see me using my Hawke Nature Trek 20-60 x 80 spotting scope on a Slik 700DX Pro tripod. Very nice on lunar and considering the limited magnification Jupiter as well. Wide field is resonable and less CA than you might expect.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I always had the impression that "grab and go " was something that could be transported quickly , easily with little cool down , with minimum accessories .

I suppose there's no real protocol as to what a grab and go should be .

But the two ends of the spectrum on this thread alone are poles apart . From an umbrella to a 14" dobsonian !

Great read though , there's some smashing gear in the mix .

I maintain that if you can't pick it up with one arm, carry it outside and be viewing within 3 minutes, it isn't "Grab and Go" :cool:

My personal Grab & GO is a small refractor on its mount with an eyepiece in  (actually a pair of them) & by the door ready for use within 60 seconds.  :p

I maintain that if you can't pick it up with one arm, carry it outside and be viewing within 3 minutes, it isn't "Grab and Go" :cool:

My personal Grab & GO is a small refractor on its mount with an eyepiece in  (actually a pair of them) & by the door ready for use within 60 seconds.  :p

In that way none of my scopes are grab and go :(. 3 flights of stairs and a minimum of 2 trips (unless I took some eyepieces out of their case of course :rolleyes:)

My new "Grab and Go" is the Tak FC76D with Denkmeier Denk II, Baader Dielectric and Pentax XF eps

(just waiting for the Postman to bring the new Alt Az mount)

4.5Kg as pictured - 5.5kg for the mount and tripod 

DSC_4320sgl_zps012fc493.jpg

Well I am guessing that my Skymax 127 on an AZ4 isn't strictly grab and go  - but it isn't too bad size-wise and cool down time. Mine must be the 80mm binos on a First Horizon tripod.

You have all made me think about a true grab n go set up now! But what - small refractor, small short tube refractor, smaller Mak?

Oh dear!

That sure is pretty looking matt, ehat is the viewing like, Ie: what mag do u get too anf does it suffer CA? Not that its that much of an issue, still lovely lil setup

At the moment I only have 3 pairs of 'binofriendly' eyepieces which give me 30x, 47x & 67x .  

I am about to buy some 5mm Naglers that will give me 114x.  

The views are excellent and even comparing it to my TSA120, the FC76 shows no CA even on the brightest subjects.

The weak link at the moment is the secondhand mount I am using but that will change soon (I hope).

The comfort level of using binos instead of monoviewing is something that everyone should try, I can sit there for hours without eye fatigue.

For solar and lunar viewing I will never go back to a single eyepiece.    :grin:

My new grab and go is the 12" Revelation Dob.

I just open the double doors on the Summer House, put in an eyepiece and I'm ready to go.

If I need to see a bit more sky then I just drag the Scope onto the decking in front of the summer house.

I'm planning to put some wheels on the Dob to make moving it easier.

Avtar

The problem you might be having with the AZ3 is that your 'scope is too big for the mounting. I mount a 90mm Mak and a PST on mine ( sometimes the 102/f.5 frac ).

I fixed a counterweight to my AZ3, which makes it much more managable. I like the AZ3 for its lightness and the cable drives.

Thanks... I did see a post in SGL showing how to add a counterweight to an AZ3 ... Bit beyond my DIY skills though I'm afraid. And I can't afford a better mount. The AZ3 is ok most of the time but I find at any elevation the azimuth cable interferes with the focuser and finder, which is annoying.

Archived