SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What is your GRAB n GO Telescope ?

I just picked up a MEADE 125ETX ( mounted on an ORION SKYVIEW PRO MOUNT ) it looks really cool with the rings and dovetail... the mount is great and very stable.. I wanted a grab n go... so i could observe planets and lunar... when there isn't time to set up the C11... the moon looked fantastic last night through the 125ETX... even though the moon was near full....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey that's cheating you can't count an EQ mount as a grab and go! Lol :)

Does it count if you can put it all in the back of your car, LOL?

I have an Equinox 80mm APO which I use with an Ioptron Minitower II for my "grab and go", but usually I find I can get something bigger in my car (well, at least for starparties :)).

Grab and go means quick to set up and cool down for me with no alignment etc, etc. Mine is a Vixen ED102SS F/6.5 ED refractor on the AZ-4 mount although my 12" dob only takes a fraction longer to set up and can be used on DSO's more or less from the off.

Just finished putting my grab n go together. Using my Celestron se6 on a manfrotto art 058 tripod and manfrotto 116mk3 video head. Really sweet setup which allows for very smooth panning of the skies :)

I'd like to get a 2 inch diagonal on it mind!

My Grab n Go is the WO ZS71 with the Baader Zoom on a Skywatcher AZ GoTo mount.

I can carry it out all set up with just one hand ( other hand to open the doors ).

If I want to use Bino Viewers then I take those out separately in a case with the eyepieces.

I'm not a great fan of GoTo so will get a manual AZ mount at some point.

Avtar

Another Pronto user here. It rides on a TeleVue Telepod. It's a little dream on all counts and was all very cheap from the used market. After a bit of TLC it is now optically and mechanically spot on. I leave it by the door in case of wildlife making an appearance, too.

Olly

Meade ETX 70.Its my oldest scope, and I`m stil using it with great pleasure.

My main scope is a Skywatcher explorer 300p 12" on top of a NEQ 6 pro mount. Not a Grab and go telescope :grin:

Einar

Our grab'n'go is a 90mm Mak on a Celestron SLT mount. Or the 90mm Mak on a Vixen Porta. Both setups are quick and easy to use. And the 90 Mak is simply superb. Best £50 ever spent.

Also borrowing Ant's Revelation 80ED but that's much heavier than the Mak and because of the dovetail, simply won't fit the SLT. It also has problems on the Porta due to balance issues. It needs a longer dovetail to find the balance point.

On the eyepiece front, we just use a Seben 7.5-22.5 Zoom with the Mak. It was a bargain at £17 brand new from Amazon. Works well between 9-22.5mm.

The Mak, Porta and Seben are also our Solar grab'n'go setup.

TV76 on Mini Giro with Induro AT413 tripod for me. Up and running in a few mins, and comes with me on holiday.

I would like to register a formal complaint about abuse of the phrase grab and go in this thread ;-), I don't think you can take a 14" dob on a plane so it doesn't count :-)

Ducks and runs away quickly! :-)

Stu

TV76 on Mini Giro with Induro AT413 tripod for me. Up and running in a few mins, and comes with me on holiday.

I would like to register a formal complaint about abuse of the phrase grab and go in this thread ;-), I don't think you can take a 14" dob on a plane so it doesn't count :-)

Ducks and runs away quickly! :-)

Stu

:)

Having owned the 12" Flextube i can safely say that if the definition of grab'n'go was just for garden use, then the big dob definitely counts. I could setup the dob in the same time as it took to setup the ED80 on AZ4. But if going anywhere away from the house, then not by the biggest leap of imagination does a 12" upwards dob count. That is unless you have a big flatbed that reverses up to the shed doors.

i have been able to move my 12" flextube dob from my garage to the back garden and stick my first eyepiece into the focusser in less than 2 minutes. That included a quick check of the collimation with the laser colly.

plus it fits in the boot of my car.

grab n go enough for me :grin:

when I have more time its takes 4 minutes, as I need to make an additional trip to the garage to get the battery for the tracking and point it north before turning it on.

Archived