Hi from a Newbie

Attila

Hi everyone,

My name is Rich, im from Bristol and I'm the proud owner of my first scope, a Skywatcher Explorer 130.

I'm no stranger to optics as i'm a Surveyor / Site Engineer by trade but I've never had anything like this before. I have had a bit of a play round with it but last night was the first time i was able to use it properly and was treated to a view of Jupiter that absolutely blew me away!  I'm completely hooked now and i'm looking at options for camera adapters to have a go at astrophotography. I have a Konica Minolta Dynax 7D which i was hoping to have a go at eyepiece projection with although i'm a little concerned that its a touch heavy for the EQ2 mount and i might have trouble balancing it.

Anyway thats enough rambling, i just wanted to say hello, this forum seems to have an enormous wealth of information on it and i can't wait to start learning.

Hi and welcome to SGL - You've come to the right place to learn, that's for sure. If you've not already done so, download the free planetarium software, Stellarium, it will really get you going about what's up there and where it is. Regarding photography, I'd suggest to hang fore for a bit and get a feel for your scope and the heavens. It's a very different discipline to visual. Also, I'm not sure if you can hook up a camera to your scope, I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm. There's an issue with inward travel on the focuser with one of the 130 scopes, and I'm not sure which it is.

So enjoy yourself on here and look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Wow thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Thanks for the advice too, I had another cracking night with great views of the moon, Jupiter and Orion from my back garden last night. I will definitely be downloading Stellarium too.

Archived