Morning all

mrjsh

Hello Everybody

Having always been fascinated by all things Space related, I have finally started out on my astronomy journey. I found this forum so useful when researching my first telescope that I was compelled to join the community.

I live in London, so the conditions are not ideal from my back garden (although I had a lovely view of Jupiter through my scope the other day). However I work three weeks on/ three weeks off so I am hoping to have lots of opportunities to go camping in some areas with nice dark skies. In fact, if any of you know of any campsites that don't mind you staying up through the night with a telescope set up, please let me know!

Please do excuse me if I don't always respond to posts right away, I often have limited access to the internet during my three weeks at work, so it can sometimes take a couple of days for me to respond - but I will do my best!

I'm really excited to get back to my scope in a week and start some exploring, as it was so cloudy I only got to use it once before I went away.

I'm really interested in observing but also hope to dabble in some very non-serious astrophotography.

Jake

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum. If you are looking for dark sites, this site might be of some help. Also, laser_jock99 posted a couple of useful maps in this post which I bookmarked. The first shows light pollution and the second daylight hours (which presumably translates to number of clear nights as well).

darksky01.jpg

sunshine_average_1971-2000_17.gif

Hi welcome to sgl.

I live in London too. I tend to go down to dorking. Relatively dark skies.

There is also a group that meet up in regents park. An astro shop run it so can be quite helpful. They actually have a meet tonight I think.

Archived