Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What single astronomical event would you like to see before you Died

Mick UK

Perhaps a large asteroid crashing into our moon visible enough to see with the naked eye?

Betelgeuse going supernova?

A large asteroid grazing through the earths upper atmosphere??

For me, i'd die a happy man if an Alien life form came to Earth and video footage from the aliens planet was broadcast on TV so we could all see what life and the living conditions were like on another habitable  planet.

Would there be trees, rivers, housing etc, what forms of transport would have evolved on that planet and if they were similar to here on Earth using the combustion engine etc.

Would they have suffered wars like we have on earth? would they in fact even possess weapons of destruction?

Would they have a moon or moons in orbit around their planet?, the list is endless and the thought of seeing all this played out on TV for the whole world to see is probably the greatest thing i'd like to witness in my whole life and not just in an astronomical sense.

How i pray for that day to arrive!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A night without clouds would be enough for me at the moment........

Not sure that qualifies as an astronomical event but it would be quite a thing.

A visitation of some kind, malevolant or benign, would certainly change the way humanity views itself and behaves on this planet.

It depends, if the question means I will live until I have seen this event then the natural death of our Sun would be my choice, hence I will live for quite a long time yet.

If not and the question simply sometime before I die, a spectacular comet passing close by that will not cause any damage to the earth would be brilliant. :laugh:

Well, visit the Restaurant at the End of the Universe of course.

But in more practical terms I'd love to see a really epic daytime visible comet.

Spectacular and without the risk of gamma ray bursts and the like from a supernova.

I think a nearby (But safe distance) supernova would do nicely. Watching the Milky Way and Andromeda collide would be a long drawn out affair.

OTOH a local supernova would guarantee cloud cover for the duration.

A night without clouds would be enough for me at the moment........

Not sure that qualifies as an astronomical event but it would be quite a thing.

I think the way things have been going, the chances of that happening are astronomical

I think for me, if it wasnt to be my choice in my opening post then i think i'd like to see an asteroid smashing into our moon that could be easily seen with the naked eye on Earth so it would look awesome through a telescope or capturing it happening with a telescope and a  webcam etc.

Been able to replay the event over the years would give it that extra touch of specialness. :smiley:

Betelgeuese going BANG.

Might be a bit too close for comfort. There is a theory that supernovea have a nasty habit of sterilizing vast areas of the galaxy every time they go bang. Who knows how many civilisations have  been wiped out in the universe by being too close to one?

Archived