Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bino-viewers

Radec

Well guys - been absent for ages; not done masses of astro but kept some going.

I just bought a bino-viewer (Revelation) and a couple of 15mm plossls to stick in to my Nexstar 6 and tonight, quite bizarre I know, the sky was sort of clear.

Well, WOW - what a difference one eye makes!

The views of the Moon, Jupiter and 'various' just blew me away - never seen so much detail in M42 - and that in a moon-washed sky.

After some years away from the hobby, this has totally re-invigorated my interest.

I now look forward to getting my SkyQ dongle tomorrow - goodness knows whether it will work, but given time & a fair wind....

Who knows?

Amazing what a transition can do.

Just wanted to share

Radec

+1 for Binoviewers - recently got baader maxbright with 2.5x corrector in 250px and it is like a new scope on moon and Jupiter!! Seriously has me more interested in the moon - mostly spend time on DSOs. Amazing the difference using two eyes even with 2x cheapest 25mm rk eps - normally use naglers with one eye! Just got 2x tv 15mm plossl eps for planets, but weather not cooperating to test yet... :( All the best, niall

That sounds like a set-up that will deliver.

I'll be interested to hear what you think about the tv plossls - whether worth the £s. 

Do you have any other 15mms to compare with?

Good luck with the weather

Radec

Cheers Radec - will compare the tv 15mm plossl against a TS 15mm SWA in cyclops mode - my one time fav ep when I started!

Weather not cooperating: 100mph winds yesterday in Cork - lots of damage around the country. Knocked out the electricity soooo... methinks dark skies(!) if there was a gap in the clouds and the Moon sets ;) Get up this morning ready to see about the Virgo cluster and maybe a comet or two ... but pesky orange streetlights along my southern horizon back up :( !!!

Yep - weather is atrocious and we aren't getting it as badly as you guys!

Tell me about LP though - my avatar is a photo I took about 2 miles from where I live. 

The choice is 'star-burst white' or 'sickly yellow'. Looks a bit like the mountain at the end of 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' (if you saw it)

Let me know what you think of the TVs.

Cheers

Radec

Radec I will be interested in your opinion on the 15mm televue plossls in binoviewers. I have been using binoviewers for some while and my preferred EPs are 15mm. I use Skywatcher ultra wide which has a 66 degree FOV. The views are very good but I wonder if I might get better sharpness and contrast with the Televues.

Coincidently, I was reading a thread this morning on Cloudynights, about viewing Jupiter through smaller scopes. It went on to talk about the benefit on details visible using binoviewers which I found interesting:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6190212/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/6/vc/1

That should take you to a page some way into the thread.

Sorry, that was a badly worded question. Does anyone have any issues with binoviewers used in larger scopes, around 12" and 16" of aperture?

This doesn't answer your question specifically but I have no problem achieving focus in my 11" SCT so can't imagine 12" would be any different....

Sorry, that was a badly worded question. Does anyone have any issues with binoviewers used in larger scopes, around 12" and 16" of aperture?

Hmmm not sure as I haven't used mine in my 16" but couldn't you shorten the focal length on your truss poles so it reaches focus? I think you may have to really check collimation of both secondary and primary afterwards but its gotta be worth a shot! :)

Problem with a newt is insufficient back focus when using a bino to reach focus. No issues like that with an SCT.

So with a newt a GPC will be needed (works like a Barlow) to focus.

The 25mm Tv Plossls are worth a look when using something like a Maxbright.

Think they have the same sized fieldstop as the 19mm Pans which I use.

Radec I will be interested in your opinion on the 15mm televue plossls in binoviewers. I have been using binoviewers for some while and my preferred EPs are 15mm. I use Skywatcher ultra wide which has a 66 degree FOV. The views are very good but I wonder if I might get better sharpness and contrast with the Televues.

Hi Mark - it's not me with the TVs I'm afraid! To be fair, I made a conscious decision to buy a very moderately priced binoviewer, so I'm not convinced that spending out for TVs would be worthwhile, to look through a sort of cheap binoviewer. I bought a pair of Revelation 15mm superview plossls (68deg afov) and have to say I'm delighted. on brighter objects they are an absolute delight - M42 looks amazing :shocked: and Jupiter equally. I've also got 25mm Orion Sirius and they are pin sharp, so I'm very chuffed.

The downside to the binoviewer is needing 2 of everything! (including wallets :laugh: )

Radec

• 3 weeks later...

I should be able to drop the truss poles a little but the 400p does not possess those extra holes that the 300p truss does.

My 300p Flextube is about 4 years old and doesn't have the extra set of holes in the truss tubes. I find this is no disadvantage, I just shorten the truss tubes around 10cm and then use a reference spacer of approximately that length to fine adjust the three trusses, one at a time. The main thing is to make them of equal length, not a specific length. The offset provided by the extra set of holes may actually be less than optimal with particular binoviewers, and without being restricted to the one position you can adjust to suit your own preferences.   

Archived