NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

S@N

ultramol

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a complete beginner of about 1 month. I've learnt so much reading these forums and I thought s@n gave a good presentation. I thought it was the best use of 30 minutes they could have done. Can't believe it's only monthly!?? Sad face :( loved learning about Jupiter's rings. Really wish they could have made this episode give out a few weblinks to help flyby viewers get started. Like these forums for example! There was probably a few new potential amateurs watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shall be interested to see what the viewing figures are for this new S@N program. If they are good then maybe the BBC may consider more episodes, say fortnightly. I think every week would put the presenters under pressure as they have "day " jobs too. Still, looking forward to the next one.... :smiley:

Not bad ,I think the budget is just about there for once a month ,change takes a bit of getting used to let's hope the classic theme music does not get the chop just the theme music excites me as it did as a child

Pat

Clear sky's

Tend to side with Cosmological, Maggie didn't seem to add much to it. If she hadn't actually been there I don't think that the program would have been lessened.

Chris Lintott was good and informative and Lucie Green would I think have been better.

They talked of things as if new, yet water geysers out of Saturns moon is not new, it has been reported and imaged for a couple of years now.

I do hope that hte approach is not to be one of "Assume everyone knows nothing and has no experience". Sometimes a program aimed at people that have some knowledge and interest is nice.

Overall I am unsure, will see how the next few pan out.

They talked of things as if new, yet water geysers out of Saturns moon is not new, it has been reported and imaged for a couple of years now.

It was water out of Jupiter's Moon, Europa. Which is fairly new news, reported mid December ;).

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/12/131212-water-plumes-europa-space-science-jupiter/

I quite liked it - a good mix of am and pro which is essential I think. Having a variety of presenters is also a good idea as scientists (I am one) are not always the best presenters, and switching around helps keep the interest up. Another vote here for the theme tune....

Chris

I quite liked it. After seeing Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock for the first time on Stargazing Live recently I was a little apprehensive as she seems to want to talk faster than her mouth is physically capable of doing. Perhaps it was the pressures of live TV because she seemed much more relaxed last night, but still going off like a gatling gun though! I hope they get the audiences and don't give the BBC an excuse to axe it. And I was glad they kept the theme tune, for me it's so iconic of the Sky at Night.

I've only seen the first minute or so while I found it to download to my tablet (save things like that for train journeys). From what I saw MAP was OK, yes she seems to talk fast but then so did SPM.

How do they measure audience figures these days? Between recording it on the freeview plus, finding it on iplayer and streaming to a local MP4 should that count as three viewing (OK I know they can count the freeview stuff) or are they smart enough to spot duplicates, or is it all guesswork?

Archived