NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

S@N

ultramol

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's not "Maggie bashing" it's more that you watch a program like the S@N for enjoyment and I find that she makes me work quite hard to follow what she is saying which for me spoils the enjoyment, I never found SPM hard to listen to although he spoke quickly, I will probably get used to her

I liked the new program, though perhaps choosing fewer subjects to cover and giving them more time might be an idea.

BTW, the water geysers were on Europa.

Edit

Must read to end of thread before posting. And I've never found MAP difficult to listen to, even though my hearing isn't what it was.

No pleasing some people eh. we all thought S@N was going to be discontinued which would have been a travesty to many.now it has been saved lets have ago at the presenters.its her first episode so lets give her a blumming chance

I enjoyed it my only niggle was the music between each segment as it sounded like something from a kids program but apart from that a job well done. Oh and congratulations Steve and Luke for getting your images shown on the show.

No pleasing some people eh. we all thought S@N was going to be discontinued which would have been a travesty to many.now it has been saved lets have ago at the presenters.its her first episode so lets give her a blumming chance

I take it this is the first time you've heard her? She was on Do We Really Need The Moon and I found her voice rally grating then, I'm just not impressed with her.

I quite liked it. After seeing Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock for the first time on Stargazing Live recently I was a little apprehensive as she seems to want to talk faster than her mouth is physically capable of doing. Perhaps it was the pressures of live TV because she seemed much more relaxed last night, but still going off like a gatling gun though! I hope they get the audiences and don't give the BBC an excuse to axe it. And I was glad they kept the theme tune, for me it's so iconic of the Sky at Night.

I think they were desperate for someone who could talk as fast as Sir PM in his prime. And just as eccentric in their mannerism. She's going to be okay, fits the show nicely in my unqualified opinion.

Every one is entitled to their opinions... :-) <br />

Here is mine, if you close your eyes and imagine Patrick Moore had been born a woman, a black woman... Maggie is probably what he'd sound like.<br />

I find her very similar. Which for me at least is a good thing.<br />

Liked the frequent use of images sent in by us mere mortals too!

I thought it was very good. It's hard to put my finger on what was different - other than the length (I always seemed to catch the short version) - but it felt somehow … tidier. A bit more polished, and more informative.

Personally, I'd be interested in hearing Dr Aderin-Pocock talking about some of the astro-engineering side of things too (things like "How the heck do you track the proper motion of a billion stars?!") as I believe that she's more from an engineering than a cosmology background.

I think they were desperate for someone who could talk as fast as Sir PM in his prime. And just as eccentric in their mannerism. She's going to be okay, fits the show nicely in my unqualified opinion.

Oh yes, she's definitely got the eccentricity working for her. If only the BBC can tempt her towards a xylophone!

I understand it's produced out of London now (rather than Birmingham), with a new series producer (Rob Liddell instead of Jane Fletcher).

I thought it was all filmed a bit better than old S@N.

The piece by Helen Czerski was very good, but she does sound a bit Cox like when speaking to camera - i thought she was better and a bit more natural when interviewing the Oxford chap, Glad they have got her on board.

I am not sure what MAP offered to the program - she did not seem to get any lines with any meat (CL got all those)

And why do they need to persist with this winter triangle nonsense - at least they have ditched the winter hexagon.

/callump

I thought it was great, watched it via filmon in the hotel at Paris Disney and thought it was thoroughly enjoyable. It was a touch longer too wasn't it?

If so then that's good because I have always felt it needs to be longer to give a bit more substance and it was good to see them out and about at a stargazing event which should be part of every show.

All in all very happy, next step 45 minutes of programme please. :D

Chris Lintott .......excellent, authorative, the natural successor to Patrick.

Pete Lawrence ..........who better to do the practical astronomy, another good presenter.

Helen Czerski.........another excellent presenter, welcome aboard Helen.

General programme content........Main topics featured good as always.

Other aspects ........not so good

Archived