Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Video Of My Observatory In Action

Singlin

That is fantastic. You would not think it was an observatory at all, just a nice neat shed.

For astronomers who live in areas affected by crime this could be the answer.

A very nice set-up, well thought out, beautifully built and maintained. 

Don't like all that snow though  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Looks good but I would worry about the shed wheels freezing up at the end of a session and being unable to push it back to cover up the scope again!

I've been skiing in Cervinia in years gone by, I can only imagine what the skies must look like through a scope up there.

ChrisH

An incredible location and a very nice setup/solution - though hope the avalanche threat is not too high in your area.    I also don't envy digging the snow out from behind the shed to keep the decking clear, though probably not too bad if you can keep on top of it.

1700m is a nice altitude and you must get some amazing skies in these cold clear nights - a good grappa and wonderful sky, now that I could do :)

Our average snow fall every winter is 19 meters measured at Chime Bianche station at 3000 meters.

The majority of this falls from March to mid May

The main village is at 2000 meters and the top lift station is at 3843 meters..

Hi Singlin,

Really enjoyed your video. You are a luck fellow, that is a really neat setup. It did look as if it was on a film set :grin:  A total of 19 meters of snow - the majority in a 3 month window :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: As others have said, you must get some amazing views at that altitude. Do you suffer much from LP? What wheels and rails did you use? Did you build the whole setup yourself?

If you don't mind me asking, what was it that took you to Italy, it would be fair to say that is not an Italian accent.

Ian

The shed came as a kit,(700 euros) I basicly just had to assemble it like lego.

I then had to reinforce the floor as it is not a structural part of the shed.

I made the decking and pier myself.

I also placed a bottle opener on the outside wall on the left of the shed door.

The wheels are caster wheels i bought from the local hardware store. I used 6 along the outside edges of the floor and 4 along the edges of the cut out recess. The most important factor when bolting the wheels on is that they should all be perfectly aligned.

I have 2 wooden strips  screwed on the decking that act as guides to prevent the shed rolling off the sides of the decking. The other 2 strips of wood screwed to the decking act as spacers for the shed floor to rest upon when the shed has been rolled back. This takes the weight of people whom are in the shed without bending the floor.

I am a ESF French qualified Ski instructor and came to Italy 30 years ago anad took the Italian Maestro exams too. I used to teach skiing in the Winter and work as a yacht delivery skipper and commercial diver in the Summer.

I then got married to a local girl and have been in the Hotel business since.

I was brought up in France and Belgium but went to school in the UK.

I regard myself as European,lol

Pretty neat setup and no doubt wonderful skies as well. Mind you, I suspect it's just a little on the chilly side in your "warm room" when the shed is rolled off given your weather - though rather that than damp like we have here.

Fantastic setup, you're a lucky guy to have such a wonderful observing location. Right! - let's go and have a quick look at my small square out the back surrounded by houses and flooded with the neighbours' spotlights, and see what I can do :smiley:

Phil

• 1 month later...

I have finished the inside of the shed.

I buit a bed come bench similar to a boat berth. It has a lockable compartment under the cushion.

I also added shelves above and below the desk.

post-19057-0-02838100-1396216490_thumb.j

Archived