Hi from a newbie

Redblade

Hi to all, as a newbie to stargazing and about to buy my first scope (£300 Ish budget) can anyone point me in which direction to take as I find it all very confusing, I would like to get the best for my cash as I am unlikely to be able to upgrade in the near future. I live in rural Brittany at the moment and have some wonderful clear skies with little to no light pollution, any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Click the Sponsor link on top of this site and go to their Beginner Telescopes page. As example.

But as you got a decent Budget of 300. These are very good Scopes to start With that will give you a lot of enjoyment and also of decent aperture, so you don´t grow quickly out of it like With the typical starter Scopes.

Below Scopes I highly recommended and very popular:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/evostar/skywatcher-evostar-120-eq3-2.html

Hi Pete welcome to the lounge,

the 200p is a good size scope, it would give you years of enjoyment, and

if you did get the urge to upgrade, the scope would sell very easily, and you

would get a good sale price from it. But it all depends what you intend to do,

if you ever wanted to try A P then a Dobsonion mount won't do, they are for

observing. Hope you make the right choice, as it's a hard decision to make.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

Hi again and thanks for all the advice, I hadn't considered a dob type scope but looked mainly at Meade Goto scopes as I thought they would be easier to set up and use but having read other peoples experiences found that may not be the case. This really seems to be a minefield and don't want to get caught out and be disappointed buying the wrong scope. I am quite into photography and have a couple of decent dslr cameras so would probably want to try astro photography some time in the future but that's not the main concern at this moment in time.

Thanks again for all the advice

Pete

Cheers for all the intro's guys n galls, it's chucking it down here in Brittany tonight, maybe it's the curse of the new scope?? And I haven't even got one or decided yet! Do I go for a skyliner 200p or something with a Goto, maybe even s/h so I get better for my money...... Help!

Scopeless in France

Archived