NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is it true a 14" Dob base doesn't go through the door?

emadmoussa

For those who don't have an obsy and own a 14" Dob (average affordable ones), how do you go about taking them out?

I saw a 14" Skywatcher the other day, and by looking at the base I can assume it won't easily go through an standard door frame. I'm just curious,

I'm sure I read a review on here of a Skywatcher 14". I think the base could be part dismantled 'relatively' easily.

Not something I'd want to grope around in the dark putting back together though.

You could make a more compact rocker box / make your own smaller base boards to mount the rest of the supplied mount on?

I easily take my 10" GSO Dob out through the back door. You require a bit of attention in order avoid brushing the edges against the door frame.

If the the 14" base comes apart, then it is good and bad. Good for convenience and bad because it'll elongate the setting up process which negates the ease of a Dobsonian.

Both the 14" & 16" Dobs cannot fit through a lot of doorways in the UK, unless you have French Doors....

I tried the base-construction-malarkey every time I went out to observe - it became tedious - after the 6th session the chipboard base was showing signs of wear.

I have now modified my base to be square (gluing on the rubber edging strips afterwards)  and it fits through doorways fine.  :) I can get the whole 16" Dob out with a sack trolley in one go.

It's a good job you thought of this!  If you hadn't, you wouldn't have been the first person to buy a telescope and then find out that it won't go through, the door, into the car or fit in the observatory!  :grin:

PS I refuse to comment if this has ever happened to me!

Lots of stuff has been built in sheds, and at some point realisation dawns that it won't fit though the door.......never been guilty of that of course...... :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

Lots of stuff has been built in sheds, and at some point realisation dawns that it won't fit though the door.......never been guilty of that of course...... :smiley:

Very true, when I first had my own house I built a bench in my kitchen to be used in an upside bedroom which was going to be used as a dark room. On completion I found that there was about 0.25" clearance in the doorways - phew!!! that was close.

Sorry to go off topic.

I've built a number of observatory domes, large telescopes and binoscopes knowing full well that they wouldn't go out of the door without dismantling. At least there was no need for them to be brought back in again and I did have the benefit of working indoors.   :smiley:  

Im with crash on this one. I have no problems with my lightbridge base....I pick it up and it naturally tilts downwards so you then hold it close to you with the round base on your belly. Then its just a case of putting one arm of the base through the door way and then pivot through.

its a similar way to which you would take an armchair throught a doorway by putting it on its side and feeding it through

.i manage to do it in one go and can carry it from the living room to the garden through two doors without putting it down ..... the main problem is its quite heavy.

Cheers

It's a good job you thought of this!  If you hadn't, you wouldn't have been the first person to buy a telescope and then find out that it won't go through, the door, into the car or fit in the observatory!  :grin:

When I bought my 10" dob I had no idea how big the boxes for it would be :rolleyes: . Barely made it up those 3 flights of stairs, had to put package upright to fit it through the door, wasn't space on the landing otherwise!

Of course, it's fine now, without all the extra packaging... I wonder how the Skymax 180 and HEQ-5 will cope :evil:.

Archived