Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good Morning

Teignstar

I have just jointed the forum to learn a lot more about 'stargazing'

I am new to astronomy, but have always had a vague interest, now I have that opportunity.

I have recently retired and as a present have been given a Nexstar 6SE, which appears to be a great instrument to start with. It also has a case of lense and filters, a battery pack and lens shade......................so I am ready to go!!

Fortunately, we have had some some nice clear skies lately and I have started to look through it. The moon looks awesome and was of course easily found!!

I am being challenged by the SkyAlign system!! At times it says I have a match, but when I confirm, it says align has failed.

Suffice to say, I think I have all stages right, but clearly something is wrong .

Any help here would be appreciated, it seems this is an area where many struggle.

I am hoping for many more clear skies in order to explore more of the heavens!

I look forward to getting more involved and learning from those with longer experience.

Peter

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL, Peter. The 6SE is a very nice and capable little instrument. I have the 8" version of those optics on a different mount, and have had loads of fun for many many years. I cannot help you much in the alignment bit (as I have a different mount, without ANY software), but I do hear sometimes people input the date in European format (dd/mm) rather than American (mm/dd). This can completely throw a system (although I do not know whether that is the case with the 6SE).

Hello and welcome Peter.

Some of the best advice I was given for a beginner , if you haven't found it yet, is to download 'Stellarium' for your computer and start clicking on the various options on the screen to find your way around the skies. If you also have an android device, 'Sky Map' is very similar, and portable. Both these programmes are free, and should help you know what you are looking at, and if it matches the software.

Archived