Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First 2014 Jupiter, GRS & Ganymede, 07.01.14

theo

This is my first imaging opportunity of 2014 what with all the dreadful weather recently. The seeing on this night was good and Jupiter was nice and steady on screen but the battle was with high cloud drifting over on a regular basis!! I'm sure this image could have been better as it was almost impossible to complete a full RGB run without cloud interuption. There were a few choice words coming from the obsy :-)

This was a reduced RGB duration series from the norm for me (2mins per channel) just to try and miss the clouds but alas I was unsuccessful, the blue taking quite a hit. Fortunately the red was clear and saved the day!! It did clear completely but the seeing had gone away by then. Still very happy to bag the GRS + moon this close to opposition.

Regards,

Pete

post-22012-0-01167500-1389300131_thumb.p

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice Theo - nice to get a really good shot in the bag after such a long run of bad weather and there's some excellent fine detail in this almost to the poles.    Tonight looks quite promising and hopefully less cloud to raise the temp in the obs ;)

Your location must be good Pete. Great detail. Go's without saying when I open one your images. Was a little better here tonight. But I spent most of the night at 11 meters stubbornly. Everytime I drop to the Celestron 3x  the image looks better.  Got a couple of GRS. Not as good as this. But some detail inside the GRS

Did you get out I suspect you did ?  I reckon you must have had a blinding night if so. Conditions were certainly more stable.

Class imaging Pete

Many thanks everyone for all the generous comments. Much appreciated.

Neil, 

Yes I did get out but the 9th was not as good as the 8th for me. Just goes to show how localised the seeing is. Trans was very good though. I will process over the weekend but don't think the data is up too much to be honest. 

Regarding my location, it's difiicult to say how it compares. For sure i've have some good seeing when others have reported otherwise and certain features of the landscape do influence the local seeing such as being near to the coast. It would be good to try and image from another site occasionally or have a trip to Barbados to get a measure of how good it really is!!!! :-)

Regards,

Pete

Many thanks everyone for all the generous comments. Much appreciated.

Neil, 

Yes I did get out but the 9th was not as good as the 8th for me. Just goes to show how localised the seeing is. Trans was very good though. I will process over the weekend but don't think the data is up too much to be honest. 

Regarding my location, it's difiicult to say how it compares. For sure i've have some good seeing when others have reported otherwise and certain features of the landscape do influence the local seeing such as being near to the coast. It would be good to try and image from another site occasionally or have a trip to Barbados to get a measure of how good it really is!!!! :-)

Regards,

Pete

I know what you mean. Trying to understand technique and location. From what I am seeing I think you have both. Your site seems reasonably good. Technique good. processing ect  I believe some locations would frustrate  the hell out of you. Barbados on the other hand would beat your location more consistently. For the UK you do seem to have some good skies. But I don't underestimate technique. And lets not forget adequate equipment.

Its a strange game. I haven't taken one shot with the Orion this year that's been any good. Yet at 30 degrees it was pretty good ? ( same location )  I have had new coatings. I wonder about the effect that can have. Some mention horror storys of removing multi coatings. Affecting the mirrors pv ? didn't expect a mass produced scope to start outperforming it. ( 300p )  Its a strange game indeed. When your flying you can do no wrong. And your flying for sure .

I know what you mean. Trying to understand technique and location. From what I am seeing I think you have both. Your site seems reasonably good. Technique good. processing ect  I believe some locations would frustrate  the hell out of you. Barbados on the other hand would beat your location more consistently. For the UK you do seem to have some good skies. But I don't underestimate technique. And lets not forget adequate equipment.

Its a strange game. I haven't taken one shot with the Orion this year that's been any good. Yet at 30 degrees it was pretty good ? ( same location )  I have had new coatings. I wonder about the effect that can have. Some mention horror storys of removing multi coatings. Affecting the mirrors pv ? didn't expect a mass produced scope to start outperforming it. ( 300p )  Its a strange game indeed. When your flying you can do no wrong. And your flying for sure .

Thanks Neil.

Its so difficult to evaluate your scopes when the conditions you have been experiencing haven't been the best. So many things can cause you to start thinking its down to the scope. Have you managed to image with both scopes during the same session yet? Would be interested in seeing a comparison under the same conditions / similar time period.

Pete

That's a stunning shot! How did you get the moon so sharp too? Absolutely mind boggling. I love it, shot of a lifetime in my opinion. The cloud detail swirling around the GRS is just awesome!

Many thanks!! The moon is processed separately to avoid alignment issues between the moon and Jupiter. The processed images are then combined as you see above.

Pete I'm running out of adjectives to describe your images... so I'm just going to stick with stunning from now on I think!!  :grin:  :smiley:

Cheers Steve. Hopefully I can keep producing images worthy of this!!  :grin:

Many thanks!! The moon is processed separately to avoid alignment issues between the moon and Jupiter. The processed images are then combined as you see above

Ahh I see, so (sorry I like to try and learn all I can from you guys who produce these Damian Peach like Images!) do you take your avi and then once you have processed it to tiff/png it whichever file format you use stage do you use image editing software to "cut out" the moon into a separate file and then process it and splice it back into the main image?? Sorry for the questions it's just not something I have leant about yet :)

Ahh I see, so (sorry I like to try and learn all I can from you guys who produce these Damian Peach like Images!) do you take your avi and then once you have processed it to tiff/png it whichever file format you use stage do you use image editing software to "cut out" the moon into a separate file and then process it and splice it back into the main image?? Sorry for the questions it's just not something I have leant about yet :)

Basically you create two separate stacked images, one for the

planet and one for the moon. These are then brought together using layer masking techniques in Photoshop.

Pete

Archived