Newbie from Northumberland

craigr001

Hello and a Happy New Year to all.

Craig here. From Northumberland (along the coast) in the UK.

Surprised to unwrap a Reflector on Christmas Day. Therfore I am now the proud owner of my very first.

It's a SkyWatcher BK1309.

Came with (what seems to be) the usual 'made in China' two eyepieces (10mm & 25mm) and one Barlow x2.

Though the moon is new (as is my scope), I'm over the moon to say the least.

Setting the scope up in the girlfriends house on Christmas Day (nothing better than building stuff on Xmas Day) we where itching for darkness to fall.

Nope, too cloudy.

Couple of days later, I transported the scope home and set it up. 30th Dec I dragged it outside, LIKE WOW! Jupitor, there she glows, along with 4 moons that I could make out.

So exited for clear skies (or clear enough). New Years Eve, the skies where clear between 6 and 7pm. Located Jupitor, Aldebaran and the Pleiades. Girlfriend seems ecited by the views too, so that's going to help :smiley:.

Returned indoors, left the scope in the back. Ordered the Chinese Takeaway. Couldn't scoff the lot, too much. Took a look out the window between 9 & 10pm, CLOUDY. Urgh. At this time Orion and his belt should've been high enough for us to scope. Not in this cloud. Another day, it will have to be.

Looking forward to tomorrow night (3rd Jan). On the hunt for dark skies to witness the peak of the Quadrantids.

Happy hunting.

It feels great to be part of the community.

Craig.

Welcome to SGL Craig - Glad that you found us, there's masses of information on the forum and if you ever have any questions one or two people know what they are talking about as well!! Looks like you are already learning the art of patience in the cloudy UK skies!!!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Archived