Hello Fellow Star Gazers

Bobcat918

Hello everyone, my name is Bob Anderson.  My interest in Astronomy started in 1967 when I lived at Alamogordo, New Mexico.  My first scope was an Edmond Scientific 102 mm f/15 achromatic refractor.  I still use the scope and enjoy it very much (see my album for pictures).

I grew up during the Cold War era.  The Space Race between the Soviet Union and United States was developing and exciting.  Alamogordo’s population comprised mostly of military and scientists.  Holman Air Force Base was 15 minutes away, White Sands Missile Range just 45 minutes away and Sun Spot (Solar observatory) was about an hour away in the mountains.  As you can imagine the dry high desert was a great location for missile development and Astronomy.  The environment in and around Alamogordo was influenced by science and technology development.  Our high school was impacted by this era as well.  Our sciences and math were strong points and an Astronomy elective was offered.  The high school owned a large dome observatory housing a 250 mm Newtonian.  It is still there today.

I attended New Mexico State University graduating with a BS in Biology.  I was going to enter Medical Technology when things changed after I was introduced to a Digital PDP 11/44 minicomputer.  Now, I've been in the field of Information Technology for 25 years as a Programmer Analyst/Consultant on IBM mainframe applications (COBOL).

My purpose in joining the Stargazers Lounge is to exchange ideas, share information and personally continue to develop my interest and enthusiasm in Amateur Astronomy (AA).  My hope is that I may contribute and what contribution I make helps spur others interests in AA as well.

My Regards,

Bob Anderson

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the lounge Bob,

That was a very informative and eloquent introduction. i hope you enjoy your time here. There are many aspects of astronomy covered by a very diverse group of people. But best of all they are all friendly and very helpful :grin:

Ian

Hi Bob and a warm welcome to SGL. What a wonderful place to be living in - White Sands I think is sinomous with everything techonlogical in our modern age. I am also a child of the Cold War and to be honest I'm not so sure the modern threat is any less easier to live with.

On a lighter note I look forward to seeing you on Stargazers Lounge.

Brenda

Hi Bob welcome to the lounge,

great to have you aboard, help and advice is what

this forum is all about, and a little friendly banter, your

knowledge will be greatly appreciated, you will enjoy it

here in S G L, I'm sure. 

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Great intro, Bob. Welcome to SGL!

That is awesome that you are still using your first scope. I enjoyed looking at your scope photos. What's your favourite object to observe with the F15? I love my F9 100mm refractor, and hope I get to use it for as long as you have your F15.

Hi Bob,

Welcome to SGL from another IT person. Is COBOL still being used? I haven't touched it in about 5 years!

Still appears to be.  I worked for Micro Focus in the late 80s through to the late 90s and whilst it appeared to go through all sorts of strange changes running up to the turn of the century, getting bought and passed on from company to company, but  it seems to have risen from the ashes of whatever happened back then and is still promoting COBOL now.

James

Archived