Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from a newbie in Glasgow!

Thalestris24

Hi all

Well the centre of Glasgow is probably not the best place to be to do astro stuff but I'm stuck with it! I don't have a scope yet but have been doing some astrophotography with an unmodded Canon 1100d and 300mm lens. I'm eagerly awaiting a CLS light pollution filter. I want to get a mount (probably an EQ5 pro with Synscan) and also an OTA - possibly a 130 or 150PDS. Of course I'd like bigger but doubt I could manage the weight. DSO are the things for me! Plus wide field just with the camera. I stand in awe of the images I've seen others create. I hope to have fun and frustration trying to create my own :)

Louise

Welcome to SGL :)

PS, check out the Central Scotland Observers Group forum - google CSOG - a more local group who arrange observing/ imaging meets at various places around the Central Belt, there's a few imagers in the group who will be more than happy to share tips/ tricks and kit recommendations with you, it can be a steep learning curve - that's why I'm strictly visual  :p

L.

Hi Louise and welcome to the forum. Clearly you have been seduced by the "dark art" and imaging the cosmos can be very rewarding though sometimes a little frustrating. There is plenty of experience within the imaging sections to help you improve when the needs arises so don't be shy about posting a question or two there.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Hi Louise welcome to the lounge,

there are many frustrations connected to this hobby,

patience is the first thing to learn, everything else

S G L can help you with, oh I haven't mentioned the

weather, well good luck with the A P, lot's of imagers

to help you along the way.

Clear Sky's 

Welcome to SGL - Good to see another imager join the fold!

Before you spend another penny, get hold of the book 'Making every photon count' from the book section of the FLO website and read it ....... twice! Then you will know jus what will work and why.

If you are wanting to do DSO AP, then the general recommended mount is the HEQ5. This is able to guide (which you will want to do later) and is a good all round workhorse. This sounds odd, but THE most important thing in AP is the mount, spend well on that and you will find AP easier. Also, people often couple that with a small ED80 refractor. As simple as you can get and will place minimal stress on the mount due to it's focal length. Many people use the HEQ5 and an ED80 to excellent effect.

Have a look in the imaging section at what people are using and you will get an idea for what works well together.

Hope that helps.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Archived