Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings one and all...

DennyT

Hi everyone,

Names Denny hailing from North East England in the home of the friction match and the first railway, Stockton on Tees. Just got back into Astronomy after a long break from it and loving it as my 6yr old son is showing the same enthusiasm I am. Went to a show last night at the local Planetarium about 3 miles from my home and came home with a 900x70 refractor and EQ mount/tripod for free...! :grin:  :grin: . Was looking to get a refractor in the near future but as I was given this one I'm now looking at a reflector and the Skywatcher Explorer 130P has got my interest.

Other hobbies include Amateur radio (2E0DBZ) and I often bounce signals off the numerous amateur radio satellites in LEO with varied success. Anyway that's enough for the time being...

Hi Denny welcome to the lounge

It's a real bonus when children get involved with astronomy,

My grandson loves looking at the planets, but he is not so when

it comes to DSOs, so try him on the planets first, he will love them.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

Thanks for the welcome...

Just been perusing the forums and found a list of 5 "targets" for me to locate with my scope...M31, M45, M42 and M27 then the easier stuff...Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, Mars...might try for Uranus and Neptune too if the skies are kind and I'm out at the right time...

Hi Denny and welcome to SGL. Top draw on the free telescope by the way!!!

Cheers Andy...it came as a very welcome surprise as it was mentioned at the last public show I went to at the planetarium 2 weeks ago, the guy who gave me it said he rescued it from a friend who was throwing it out...!!!! Heinous...!!  :grin: anyway, it will surely get some use out of me and me and Weeman (my 6yr old) did a little bit tonight, looked at the Moon and was happy with the amount of detail I could see, especially when I put the 9mm EP in...!!! Managed to get the Andromeda galaxy in the 20mm eyepiece which I could just make out before having to go and pick the Mrs up from work, was looking forward to a good nights observing and my next target was Pleaides only to be thwarted by clouds, lovely and clear when I left the house too...! Oh well, que sera an' all that...!!!  :hmh:

Hi Denny and welcome to SGL. Cut your Astronomy teeth on the refractor, then, when you feel you are in desperate need of an upgrade, I would look more towards a 150mm reflector. Dobsonian` s come very reasonably priced, you may even want to go as far as the 200mm, which is a very popular scope among the membership, whatever you do, enjoy your Astronomy :)

Cut your Astronomy teeth on the refractor, then, when you feel you are in desperate need of an upgrade, I would look more towards a 150mm reflector. Dobsonian` s come very reasonably priced, you may even want to go as far as the 200mm, which is a very popular scope among the membership, whatever you do, enjoy your Astronomy :)

I was looking at a 130mm reflector in the next few months and seen FLO do a Skywatcher and Celestron within the price range I'm looking at (one comes with a motor drive) then maybe move onto a Dobsonian depending on how much space I've got...

Archived