Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Farewell to Jupiter from Katherine!

Kokatha man

Hi folks, we left Manbulloo Staion which is about 15-20kms West of Katherine yesterday morning and drove through to a small place about 100kms West of Borolloola on the Carpentaria Highway.....Territorians have a quirky sense of humour about "Highways" - on this road you can just get both sets of wheels onto the bitumen if you're lucky and it's frequented by ore trucks and fuel tankers, "road trains" that haul 4 or even 5 huge tankers or ore trucks etc behind the prime movers and travel at 120km/hour giving way to nobody.....when they come the other way you just get right off the road immediately regardless..!!!

Well, this trip didn't yield one of those Jovian images to really savour but we had a lot of fun and if the seasons had progressed "normally" we wouldn't have seen much clear sky at all.....so it was still very satisfying to get acceptable outcomes especially given how far away opposition still is: the country (and locals) finally got their wish for rain when a huge torrent fell on the area 2 days before we left, clearing the air of dust and smoke etc but without creating great imaging condition for the last night of imaging...

If the clouds clear where we are in the morning we're ready to have a go but after that we're heading much deeper South and unless we get the kind of conditions that yielded a couple of really hi-res images at very low elevations last year it'll be "sayonara" to Jove for this apparition from us...

So here's our small compendium of images with the first few being images we haven't posted on any forum as yet.....starting with one of the rare times we caught an actual moon transit on Jupiter for a very long time...followed by the red channel image of the above transit.

The next was through a "sucker hole" in the clouds on the last morning of imaging, then Jupiter with Ganymede on the 7th local time followed by one from the morning before the last image.

Finally, an image from earlier where I thought it looked a bit on the dark side when I posted it previously.....a nice image nonetheless but for me indicative of the problems when processing off this laptop in the field.

From that perspective I've reproduced it here a tad lighter in contrast etc.....and even if there aren't anymore images of Jove for us this apparition, there is still enough good data for some reworking to be done..!

On that score I have enough rgb sets to create a decent animation of the Io + shadow transit (the first image in this thread) so that'll certainly be something to do when we finally arrive home!

post-3551-0-03184600-1384340829_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-78470800-1384340845_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-10915300-1384340861_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-13849100-1384340877_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-24257600-1384340900_thumb.pn

post-3551-0-21894800-1384340917_thumb.pn

Thanks Simon, Michael, Dror, Stuart, Pete, Marty, Mr Spock, Neil, sulaco & Raga - you kind responses are appreciated! :)

We're leaving where we are and heading for Mt. Isa in about half an hour.....got up this morning to cloudy skies and went back to bed only to discover that the sky was clear about a half hour or so before sunrise.....too late, as the collimation was right out due to the long bumpy haul the other day and there wasn't enough time to set up, collimate & image at that time of day...ah well! :( 

Archived