Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet Ison with passing Fireball

I went out early this morning to grab another shot of Comet Ison and came back with more than I bargained for, I caught Comet Ison with passing fireball in the same frame. I didn't see the actual fireball as I was in the car warming my hands but what are the chances of capturing the tail end of a fireball right next to comet Ison within the field of a 200mm lens!!!!!

Mel

Movie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37462767@N06/10786482103/

Here's a combined image of eight 1 minute exposures showing the ion trail dissipating

post-4305-0-59716500-1384121828_thumb.jp

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments guys I was indeed very lucky to catch this. I used my modded Canon 600D @1600iso with a 200mm L lens all mounted on an Astrotrac.

I had originally intended to use a 300mm lens to get a larger image of the comet  but it was too windy so fate stepped in because if I had used the long lens I would never have known what I missed.

Mel

Animated GIF version

10805906545_79137e6278_o.gif

No offense & sorry Mel I just checked your profile.  I was right the first time.  Good work sir!  (Being able to edit would be good at times  :icon_redface: )

What are the 2 faint lines running on a tilt / horizontally (First one runs through ISON tail) the second one appears afterwards further down on a similar angle).

?

Archived