NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Scotland

dd33

Hi,

I don't know anything about astronomy but I really want to learn.I live in a dark sky area and spend lots of cold nights outside watching the sky and have done since I was a child. I don't own a scope at the moment but it's on my Christmas list... :)

My dream is to take some really good pics of the sky at night and as a bonus I might even learn to name the stars in the pics. Looking forward to learning from all you clever people... :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, I'll be downloading it later. Yeah... I'm lucky with my location especially when we're treated to a show of the northern lights and meteor showers. I just hope hope I can actually photograph them with good results one day...:)

Welcome to SGL!! You've come to the right place, that's for sure!

If you can get hold of the book 'Making Every Photon Count' available from the book section of the FLO website, this is an excellent book for all things astro imaging. Something of a bible in that regard, it will really pay dividends if you read it prior to getting any kit.

Have a look around the imaging section as well. People generally state the kit used to get their images - So that too will give you some ideas.

AP is great, I love it!!!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi, dd33, and welcome to SGL! I second the recommendation for 'Stellarium'. It is a free and customisable programme that can help in not only showing what is in the sky in your area, but also help in planning a viewing session by showing when things will be visible. For the price you can't better it! If you want to begin with astrophotography then 'Making every Photon Count' is another excellent recommendation which may well save you money (and frustration!) in this fascinating hobby.

Martin

Hi Lorne and welcome to SGL, you are in the right place for great advice. I have been helped no end on here and still getting advice.  

If you have a smart phone you can download GoogleSky. After the download you just hold your phone up in the direction of what you are interested and it will name it for you.

Happy Stargazing

Brenda   :smiley:

Thanks again for all the welcomes and advice. I've downloaded a copy of Stellarium so just need to play about with it now. I nearly ordered a Skywatcher Skyliner 200 this morning but after reading the posts on here I'll hold off until I read MEPC.  Hopefully by the time I've read the book we have some dry weather for a change...:)

Another warm welcome dd33. To add to the excellent advice you've had already I would suggest spending time just with naked eye and learning your way around the night sky. It will stand you in good stead when you get going with a scope. I only wish I'd spent more time doing so! In the meantime take time to decide where your particular interests lie, and ask any questions here before you buy a scope.

Keep in touch and good luck^_^

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Archived