Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 and the Horsehead Nebula

gary1968

Howdy, not posted in this section for a while. I spent the seekend at a mates cottage in Galloway, here are the 2 pics I managed. Both wwere taken using my unmodded 1000d, ED80 and guuded HEQ5 Pro.

M31 was 15x10min subs + darks, while the HH was 18x10min subs + darks and I also used my little diffraction ring thingy on my ED80 that I made for the first time.

10649486835_b4f2e92b60.jpg
M31-Andromeda Galaxy-011113 by gaz-anderson, on Flickr

10649734453_61b05d024e.jpg
Horsehead Nebula-011113 by gaz-anderson, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,

Gaz

Cheers folks. Mark, I am no Photoshop expert, if I try to brighten the HH then I blow out the star, a lack of my expertise more than anything else, lol.

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Use a star mask, threre are so many ways of doing this and one is in the "processing tips and tricks" section of the forum, I usually duplicate the layer, and with the copy layer selected I click the little mask button at the bottom of the layers palate. click on the backgro und layer, Control A, Conrol C and then Alt click the empty mask to bring the mask up, with the mask active Control V to patse the bottom layer on to the mask and now you have a BW image in the mask. As the dark areas are protected and the light areas are affected invert the mask by pressing Control I, now you have the inverted mask, do a level adjustment to make the stars very black and apply a gaussian blur of about 1.3~1.8 pixels to soften up the edges of the stars and then click on the copyl ayer  to make it active, whatever you do from now on will only affect the light areas and hopefully not the stars.

Sorry if you already knew how to do all this.

Regards,

A.G

Actually I think that with Alnitak a star mask is very difficult to prepare. The star has such a vast halo. What I'd do is take a copy layer and then further stretch the top one. I'd then use a large, soft edged eraser at low opacity to ease off the top layer. Make the eraser steadily smaller.

Better still, prepare a bottom layer with a less stretched Alnitak and put that underneath.

Olly

Actually I think that with Alnitak a star mask is very difficult to prepare. The star has such a vast halo. What I'd do is take a copy layer and then further stretch the top one. I'd then use a large, soft edged eraser at low opacity to ease off the top layer. Make the eraser steadily smaller.

Better still, prepare a bottom layer with a less stretched Alnitak and put that underneath.

Olly

That is a good way of doing things.Thanks for sharing.

A.G

Archived